Independent Renault Forums banner

21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
22,087 Posts
Starting problem
Failure of high pressure pump , small bits of metal entering fuel system as pump breaks up quite common on Delphi pumps
Not as common as we are sometimes led to believe.
Poor results on leak off test or failing injectors is a clue.
As is:-
Metallic particles in fuel filter
Metallic particles in fuel sample
Especially if a magnet can stir them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hello,

This is my first post on this forum, signed up to ask this question. Last week I bought megane (2005), 1.5 dci (60kw), ~250000km. This is first diesel that I own. What cause car shaking for ~30 seconds after it just started? Shakes are not very strong, and they are not constant, I mean it might be OK for five seconds and then shake once, then two seconds OK and shakes again, etc. After ~30 seconds it goes away and works without those shakes.
Maybe related maybe not, when I turn off the engine, the whole car shakes for a second (maybe because it's a diesel? or maybe a worn out engine mount?).

Thanks for your help!

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
The large shake when the engine shuts down does sound like a worn engine mount. They take a little more abuse on a diesel, when compared with a petrol.

For the overall shaking problem, I'd advise posting your issue as a separate new thread in the engines forum so other members can see it and hopefully help you. I'm not too sure what it could be at this stage.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Great Thread to save us DIYers with brains asking too many dumb questions and those of us being told "it's the pump" endlessly some Alternatives!
Thanks to all.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Guys I'm new. Got a bit of a sticky situation... Starters dud on my clio (2003 1.5Dci) (I've checked the battery, electronics, everything pretty much). When you go to start on the key all you get is the 'click' from the relays and occasionally the starter solonoid attempting to pop in. So decided to remove the starter. Annoyingly unlike other clio's on the 1.5 the starter is at the back, under the EGR and turbo... So i've removed the EGR, all the pipework and everything inlet wise besides the inlet manifold and turbo its self, also moved the coolant res and unclipped quite a few hoses! Managed to get to the starter and took out 2 of the 3 bolts holding it in, now i believe theres a 3rd one holding the starter underneith, i can't see it, i can't feel it, had my head squeezed into all kinds of nooks and crannies in and underneith the engine bay (even got it jacked up to see if that helps). Anyway after looking at pictures of other K9K starters it would appear there is a 3rd bolt. so was going to ask, does the starter on my clio have this 3rd bolt, and if it does, where is it and is there any easy/ logical way to get it out? as so far it would appear to me that renault really don't want people to get the starter off this engine! i'm a bit stuck at the moment, got it jacked up, parts off, tools everywhere and covered in oil so much help would be appreciated! oh yeah another thing worth mentioning, the whole entire engine bay, engine, gearbox and near enough everything is covered with either oil or coolant so i'm aware its got a very tiny minor slight leak on it... think the oil could be coming from the oil cooler! but yeah much help would be appreciated!

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
37,898 Posts
Give it a tap with a hammer shaft, see if it moves.
Some have a locating dowel on the gearbox, this might have it.
What pins have you managed to take off, one towards the top, and one at the bottom.
Have a look at this link, you will see two threads for starter motor pins, but the middle is a dowel locator , so if one in the middle, the bolt will come from the starter , not the gearbox, as the pin will have to fasten into the gearbox

FITS RENAULT/NISSAN 1.5 DCI K9K DIESEL MODELS BRAND NEW STARTER MOTOR | eBay

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've got the two pins out, tried tapping it from the top and bottom, wiggeling it, knocking it sideways, but it seems really stuck in there, and it doesn't help that the whole thing is covered with oil so i can't get a grip on it. tried cleaning it up but its quite hard to do in the limited clearence, so should i just keep tapping it like? other thing is theres no lip between the gearbox and starter plates so i can't get a screwdriver in there to prise it :/

·
37,898 Posts
Hello! Starting problem? Is it true that you have to remove the backseat when the battery have crasst.

//klaesake
Try again as we have no idea what you are asking..

·
Registered
27 Posts
Ok. Vad jag menar är att min systerson har varit i kontakt med Renault. Dom säger att han måste ta bort baksätet när batteriet har ****at fungera. Måste ta bort baksätet eftersom det går inbyggda kablar från batteriet till baksätets spiralet innanför tyget. Batteriet går inte att öppna med slägga eller hammare, därför måste baksätet tas bort.

Är det verkligen så med franska bilar?

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
22,087 Posts
Ok. Vad jag menar är att min systerson har varit i kontakt med Renault. Dom säger att han måste ta bort baksätet när batteriet har ****at fungera. Måste ta bort baksätet eftersom det går inbyggda kablar från batteriet till baksätets spiralet innanför tyget. Batteriet går inte att öppna med slägga eller hammare, därför måste baksätet tas bort.

Är det verkligen så med franska bilar?
According to Google Translate
Ok. What I mean is that my sister's son has been in contact with Renault. They say he has to remove the back seat when the battery has **** to work. Must remove the rear seat as there are built-in cables from the battery to the rear seat coil inside the fabric. The battery can not be opened with a hammer or hammer, so the rear seat must be removed.

Is that true with French cars?
Sorry but I am still lost.
What model Renault ?
Generally to remove the main battery it is simply under the bonnet. Some things like making sure you know the radio code and how to reset windows but....

Rear sear coil ??
IS this heated seats ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello again! my new starter has arrived, i've fitted it to the car, was all going well, went to turn the key and theres no glow plug light! and a few of the other lights which like to go off after several seconds stay on, so the oil pressure light and stop light. engine will crank fine however it won't fire. its not the imob since the light on the dash would be on crack, and surely it can't be the glow plugs since they where fine before hand, i'll swap a relay and test the glow plugs and failing that i'll have to clean the TDC sensor (as much as i don't want to since its just as inconvenient to get to as the starter!) and failing that what should i do? or has anybody got any ideas on what it could be? even tried priming the fuel filter like but it was already primed. I did notice though when i had to get the starter out, i had to move the coolant res and it litrally was bone dry! so is there a coolant sensor on these that will prevent it from starting? i presume the same for oil since it also likes to leak that too! failing everything i think i might just have a mad rage and hit it with a hammer, so far its worked with everything else on the clio ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just tested the glows, 3 out of 4 fine (end one has popped! so that will explain the lack of glow plug light!) just had the TDC off and cleaned it, and on this engine its a right pain... so yeah got the end WD40 and wire brush out, end of it was black and coated in oil (seems to be the trend with this car!) put it back on and still no luck, it would seem the injectors aren't opening for whatever reason, don't know if its dropping fuel pressure in one of the injectors. can't have low oil pres since despite the leake i've just topped the oil up and the coolant! strangely though, on the key if i go straight to start it will crank over (won't fire) however if i go to 2 and hold it then go to start (like i normally would to let the plugs warm up) it won't do anything as the main start relay won't click, so mabie its ECU related? now since i'm a skint 19 year old who's nicked all of my dads tools i don't have a code reader, so i presume i'm going to have to source one of those until i go further unless theres any other diagnostics anyone can think of? much appreciated :)

·
37,898 Posts
Had the bonnet lid up, anything got wet,,, First thing to check, underbonnet relays, in or a the side of the fuse box, If car was ok, before the starter packing in, then go for the obvious, damp, or knocked something by the battery/fuse box area..

·
Registered
8 Posts
i've tried fiddling around with the relays. i've read quite a few different posts today with the same symptoms and it either points towards a glow plug failure or a key/ immob failure, so i've tried swapping the black relays and switching it on and off several times, with other people it seems to be a fix but not with me! i speculate its going to be something stupid that i've knocked whilst putting the starter in, however theres not that much to knock! just coolant pipes really, so i've had the TDC sensor off again, got it sitting in a bucket of de greaser... again! i would take the cam senser off however i have no idea where it is, just ordered a code reader so it will be intresting to see what it comes up with! but still no luck, i'll try again tomorow like!

·
37,898 Posts
What actually happened, did your starter just refuse to go one day, or?????

Glow plugs will not stop the starter spinning/cranking over ..
What will stop it is a dodgy ignition switch, thats what your symptoms are pointing to...
Are all the lights on the dash coming on, or are you having to fiddle with the key still..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Starter popped so i got a second hand one of ebay, fitted it and now it cranks over fine however it doesn't want to fire. no Glow plug light (which on these also acts as an ECU/ injector light) and the immob dot stays on a solid red, where as its supposed to extinguish after a few seconds with all the other lights. when its working fine you'd turn the key to notch 2 and all the lights on the dask would momenterilly go on then extinguish besides the oil pressure light (which usually goes off when the engines running straight away). however now the batt, oil pres, stop, serv, immob lights all stay on, yet theres no glow plug light, so i suspect its a wiring problem or a dodgey sensor. most likely something i've knocked when i've been putting the starter in. but it would seem it either appears to be an immobiliser problem or injector problem as either way the injectors aren't opening to allow the engine to fire. Ive even tried bump starting it (ran down the road pushing it with a few mates, got it up to about 10-15MPH then dumped the clutch and it still didn't wanna run!) so i'm stuck, but its most certainly an electrical fault, just i don't know what :/

·
37,898 Posts
Okay then, what did you have to remove from the top of the car to get at your starter,,...
Give as much info as possible, can then back track with the wiring diagram to see what sensor , relay or wire can give this issue....

21 - 40 of 74 Posts