Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi

i have been offered a 1.5 td 2004 kangoo van, all i have to do is take over the payemnts of £80 a month, the reason the bloke is getting rid of it is it keeps having the same problems, so far he has spent 3K and replaced the injectors, fuel pumps, and keeps getting the tank flushed well this is what the garages says it is doing

what happened is that he was driving it and 3 lights came on, on the dash and wouldnt start, replaced pump, injectors, bub tkeeps getting grit in his fuel, i have done some research and all assuming that this is the fillings that keeps getting meantioned, how do these get in there and shoudl they have all been removed when flushed, or should i flush out all pipes

i read a post about putting magnets top stop this? would this help,

also if this isnt filings, what could it be, as tank is plastic

cheers

·
Premium Member
24,215 Posts
If the problems weren't sorted correctly the first time then it likely you may have to spend the same amount of money similar to that already laid out by the current owner. The oner ralise he caught between a rock and a hrd place and he may see you as an easy way out.
Metal filings are the result of an failed fuel pump. Once this occurs then the complete fuel system is contaminated and as filings are still occuring then either it wasn't repaired correctly or the fuel pump has failed again.
My advice is to walk away as to get it going correctly is probably going to cost more than the vehicle is worth.
If the vehicle is either leased or on a finance agreement before taking over payments you'll need to get the agreement of the finance company concerned oherwise you or the current owner may end up being accused of fraud.

In its current condition the vehicle is worth no more than its scrap value.
Walk away is my advice.:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cheers. the bloke got told by the garage that it was grit in the fuel, and i couldnt work out how it got there, i just assumed that it was metal from the research i did, i will tell him no thanks, as from what i been reading the garage mustnt of repaired it properly

·
Premium Member
24,215 Posts
cheers. the bloke got told by the garage that it was grit in the fuel, and i couldnt work out how it got there, i just assumed that it was metal from the research i did, i will tell him no thanks, as from what i been reading the garage mustnt of repaired it properly
I think you have made a wise decision Darren - good luck in finding another vehicle.:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
its a pity as he is a mate, if he stripped out pump, injectors and then got it all flushed properly would this sort it all out so he could flog it on or carry on using as he still owes a bit on the finance

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
its a pity as he is a mate, if he stripped out pump, injectors and then got it all flushed properly would this sort it all out so he could flog it on or carry on using as he still owes a bit on the finance

·
Premium Member
24,215 Posts
Every single aspect of the fuel system will need to be thoroughly cleaned and that involves removing the fuel tank. Also some components such as the feul rail and it sensors can't be successfully cleaned and will need replaced. Even if done correctly by a decent independent garage I would expect the cost to start at around £1200.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well, i told him it was metal bits, cant be its like dirty water and is convienced there is a hole some where, 3 times he has had it in

the lights come on and each time its effected it different

1, broke two injectors
2, blocked the primer pump
3, caused a air lock

the garage is saying tank is full of crap and to buy a new tank, yet they should of flushed it out, will it have a hole or should he go back to the garage and kick off

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.