Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quicky, I have a 2.2 dci (Laguna Sports Tourer) and when out and about I rarely see 2.2dci's, compared to 1.9dci engines.
Does anyone know what the ratio's are? and how many on here have 2.2dci's? AND is there any advantage having the bigger engine? maybe better acceleration? but more weight?
Cheers

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
I personally didn't see the advantage of the 2.2 over the 1.9

For us it was about cheaper tax,cheaper insurance and more mpg.

The 1.9 120bhp is still a great engine, in some ways its more refined than the 2.2. The 2.2 is slightly quicker but after driving both straight after one another there was not much to choose between them.

If I had a caravan ( shed) I would choose the 2.2 for the extra grunt/torque. Maybe if i didn't have to pay the bills i would go for the 2.2 as well.

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
If I had a caravan ( shed) I would choose the 2.2 for the extra grunt/torque. Maybe if i didn't have to pay the bills i would go for the 2.2 as well.
The 2.2 might seem like the obvious choice for towing, until you read the figures. Renault are notorious for publishing silly towing weights for their cars, and they certainly haven't disappointed here. According to their figures, you can tow a slightly heavier trailer with the 1.9 than you can with the 2.2 :crazy:

I assume they've settled for the same maximum gross train weight on both cars, and the increased weight of the larger donk on the 2.2 is what makes the difference.

As for the reason why the 1.9 is more popular, it probably has a lot to do with the influence of company car purchases on the UK new car market, especially in the diesel sector. The 1.9 has enough grunt but a cheaper list price and lower CO2 emissions. Both of these factors affect the tax burden to the driver, so the 1.9 is a much more attractive prospect than the 2.2 if you're pinching the pennies (and if you're not, then you probably go for the petrol anyway.)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts