Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[FONT=&quot]Hi all,

I've been reading all these posts with interest.I have a 2003 Espace 1.9dCi with 160k miles on the clock. I bought it in 2006 when it had about 120k on it. It had been used as a fleet car, shuttling between Glasgow and Gatwick so lots of motorway miles. I kept up the servicing at a Renault dealer until I moved 2 years ago. We have a Kwik Fit near us so I started using them as I get a free MOT with a service through my insurance policy.

Ever since I have owned the car, the orange light has come up on the dash and the power goes (owners manual says this light comes on due to an "electrical fault". Normally happens going up hills. Pull over, switch engine off and straight back on and it runs fine. I asked the Renault dealer to look at it many times. They said they had NEVER heard or come across a problem like it! I also took the car to various other mechanics who all said different things. I eventually gave up as I had learnt to avoid it coming on by keeping the revs high going up any inclines.

So the last 2 years I've had oil and filters changed every 12 months which is currently about 10,000 miles per year. I drive 30 miles on dual carriageways every day at at least 70.

So, starting a few weeks ago, at first I notice a puff of white smoke on cold starting. I also notice that sometimes, when pulling away nothing happens. No throttle at all. Hmmm not good. So I book it into a local mechanic to have a look. With hindsight, I should probably have stopped driving it at this point but was totally ignorant of catastrophic "incidents". I also noticed a couple of times when changing gear that the engine raced when I depressed the clutch. It was burning oil and the oil level was dropping so I topped it up by about 1 litre. Anyway before I made it to the garage, I was driving along the motorway and after about 60 miles I noticed a load of smoke from the exhaust. It seemed to be black smoke at that point. The power started going too. Suddenly absoloutely loads of white smoke started billowing out so I started pulling over onto the hard shoulder. The engine had already started racing whenever I depressed the clutch. I decided I would stall it but for some reason didn't or couldn't. When I came to a halt the engine was racing so loud and fast I thought that if I tried to stall it from standing something would definitely break. I knew that if it didn't stop it would be the end of the engine because it was just way beyond the limits. Panicking I pressed the button a few times and then yanked the key card out, shortly after which it spluttered to a halt. The engine was racing by itself for about 30 to 40 seconds I think.

The recovery guy said it was more than likely to be a blown turbo. He seemed to know a lot about it and said it might be OK if I replaced the turbo. We checked the oil and there was about a third left. Then I found this forum, read some posts and thought I'd give it a go myself as I wouldn't be able to afford for anyone else to do it. I replaced the turbo (which had no visible damage and no play), the EGR valve, (covered in gunk but moved freely), vacuum valve (which was completely melted/burnt), new boost control solenoid and all the air/fuel/oil filters. I thoroughly cleaned all the pipes to and from the turbo and I flushed and cleaned the intercooler. I flushed out the oil feed and return pipes to the turbo. So after putting it all back together and filling it with oil (fully synth 5/40), I primed the turbo by turning the engine over a few times with the fuel pump power disconnected and then started it. It started fine but with loads of oily smoke and it was running very unevenly, almost as though one of the cylinders wasn't firing. It smoothed out when I gave it some revs but the smoke was really pouring out of the exhaust. I thought it might just be the excess oil burning off after the turbo failure. I gave it some more revs to about 3000 and then...guess what? The engine started running away again. Exactly the same. Tonnes of white smoke, engine screaming. I didn't want to risk stalling it as it was still on axle stands with the drivers side wheel off. Again I pressed the button a few times and yanked the card out and again it stopped by itself. It was running away for about 30 or 40 seconds altogether I reckon. I checked the oil level and there was still plenty. It started again straight after but again very rough and smoky but at least it started. I checked the intercooler and it was completely full of oil. About a litre of it. I noticed that even though it was just changed, the oil looked very black and dirty. Back to the drawing board then...

So I'm thinking either:

1. the replacement turbo was already blown (it came from a car written off in an accident)
2. Something else is badly wrong which led the replacement turbo to blow after 5 mins of running.
3. Something else? Too much oil? Oil getting stuck in the seperator when refilling - I've heard that this can be a problem and cause a runaway.

Any ideas much appreciated! Sorry for the long post...
[/FONT]

·
Premium Member
20,098 Posts
Remove the 'seperator' and check that the return drain to the sump is clear.I've had a few block up in the recent past.....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Lagtdi, thanks for the advice. I did just remove the separator and gave it a good clean. The return drain was completely clear. The pipe to the inlet manifold was pretty dry too so I don't think the oil was getting in that way. Must've been a duff turbo -or it blew straight away. I can't think why it would blow after 5 mins though. They can't be that delicate can they?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.