Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys I have just called my local dealer and got a price of £450 to swap and replace the water pump.

Question is Just how hard is this job, they reckin on 5.30 hours labour so I am thinking the kits gonna be £100.

So do I need and special tools and should I replace as a matter of course the water pump ?

I have some skills and a decent tool kit and have done this type of thing before on smaller cars (Fiats and Corsa's) Room for my shovel hands was an issue but the Laguna looks to have a little more space.

Anything I should watch out for ? I have searced but there is not an idiots guide for this here (seems odd as this is a big service item for most people)

Any help much appreciated

·
Premium Member
24,215 Posts
If the water pump is being replaced then the timing belt will also have to be renewed.
I don't know where Renault get 5 hours plus on labour as my independent garage allows 3 hours max for this work.

to do the job correctly the following materials will be required will be:-
A water pump.
Timing belt kit (including new crank pulley bolt.
Three litres of anti-freeze
A new auxiliary belt (optional but definitely recommended)

If after-market parts are used the total cost of the parts should be in the region of £150.

Getting the crankshaft pulley undone is usually the most difficult aspect for the DIY'er and it is best to use a timing pin for the crankshaft.:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea sorry, I will be changing the Timing Belt as a matter of course but just wondered was it worth the £50 to replace the water pump, I guess so as I will be in there at the same time. Has anyone done the job here that can give me a few pointers ?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.