Independent Renault Forums banner

1.9 dci Scenic, throttle problems

3K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Postie2003 
#1 ·
I hope someone can suggest some help.

My 51 plate 1.9dci Scenic is starting to want to go to full throttle.

It usually happens after I have accelerated away from a junction. the throttle seems to want to stay open. I ease off the gas and the car is still accelerating. I pop the clutch to change up and the car tries to red line. The last time this happened I lightly applied the brakes and noticed that I was getting a stream of black smoke out of the exhaust.

I have noticed that the oil guage on the dash has dropped down to one mark during the last week.

The car was serviced about a month ago by a renault garage (not main dealer). During this the EGR was cleaned out and the car was running well after.

Has anyone got any suggestions on how to fully diagnose this problem?

Thanks

Peter

#2 ·
It sounds to me like the engine is ingesting its own oil. This will cause the revs to "run away" as a diesel engine will happily run on engine oil. Because diesel engines run unthrottled (i.e. the air intake is permanently "open"), there is nothing to stop the revs soaring away.

It would also explain the loss of oil from the sump.

How do you stop it from doing this? Does it eventually recover on its own?

Cheers
Postie

#4 ·
Check the engine oil level first as overfilling with engine oil can cause this prob. Also it could be a blocked engine breather. If the engine cant breathe it can force oil up into the cylinders. Over revving in a diesel can cause serious damage to an engine and should be investigated ASAP - Don't delay:)

#5 ·
Just had garage tell me that the turbo has gone and contaminated the intercooler. £1300 was the quote to do the work. :( Is this reasonable? This is a renault garage but not the main dealer, they are generally OK on their prices.

Need some advice

Peter

#6 ·
Rhino,

If the seals have gone on the turbo, then yes it certainly explains what's happened (oil is leaking into the inlet manifold and causing the revving you describe). I understand this is not unheard of on the 1.9dCi and Renault were offering free repairs (and fitting of upgraded parts) on some cars providing they had a full Renault history and were less than 5 years years old or 100,000 miles.

The price sounds quite reasonable for the work and parts involved, although £1300 is an obscene amount of money to have to find on a relatively new car.

If I were you, I would be on the phone to Renault to see if they are willing to contribute anything towards it. Do a Google search on Renault dCi turbo failure - it's not a rare occurrence.

For the cost of a phone call, it can't hurt. Even if they pay something towards it, it's worthwhile.

Good luck!

Cheers
Postie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.