Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this in the Scenic forum but wonder if it might be as well in this one as the engine is used in other models? http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/scenic/21907-scenic-1-9-diesel-very-very-sluggish-when-pulling-away.html

Hi Folks
I`ve been searching for a new car & have spotted a good spec Scenic 1.9 120 bhp diesel in a local garage. I went for a test drive this morning & was underwhelmed with the performance & mostly the pulling away from a standstill in 1st gear. I tried it a few times & it was very dangerous IMO I was putting the car in 1st gear & when pulling away, even with my foot to the floor, there was a delay of at least 4 seconds before it actually accelerated rather than just gather some speed! I tried a 1.5 D & it was a different car!! far better engine & much more lively than the 1.9. Can anyone point out what is wrong with the car as it`s in a good colour & spec but dangerous to drive in the present condition. The salesman who didn`t come with me told me it was turbo lag. I`ve driven enough turbo cars both petrol & diesel to know what turbo lag feels like!

Any help much appreciated

Lee

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a Laguna 1.9DTi and had a similar problem when I had to put Tesco diesel into it. I refilled with half a tank of BP Ultimate then went back to BP fuel. This cured my problem and it was aginst my principle to use supermarket fuel which was backed up by the recent problems.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that, it`s a bit of a gamble to buy the car on the off chance it`s dodgy diesel :d The lack of turbo whistle has me concerned too although the car only has done 31k miles & shouldn`t have turbo probs that early? Will the egr I`ve read about on here cause such problems?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I`ve just been & saw the car again & had a chat with the salesman who said it was turbo lag :rofl: He told me that he had a drive in the car after I had left, which he did as I saw him, and did agree that there was something amiss with the car. He said he`d looked into it yesterday & the car was waiting for a part to be fitted & when I asked him which one he said the egr valve ( he was rather taken aback when I said " oh the gas recirc valve" :d :d ) That`ll be fitted early next week & I`ll have another go in it & am expecting a much better performing car!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts