Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, please forgive me posting in the General Forum, but since this is an issue with an engine type rather than a model of car, it seemed appropriate. Please feel free to move it if I have been bad.

I have a November 2003 Scenic II 1.9dCi 120 with 76K miles.

A couple of months ago, it started showing "Check Injection" when cold, but it would disappear after a few miles. Now it pretty much says it all the time.

It has also started to stall at random when moving off from a standstill (not my clutch technique, honest!) which is even more annoying (both to me and the people behind) because of the apparent delay before it will restart. This seems unrelated to whether it's warm or cold, or whether you have just stopped or sat there a while (eg. at traffic lights).

Today in traffic I moved off normally (not a near-stall) and it beeped and said "Injection Fault" (STOP!) but kept running quite happily. At the next lights I stopped it and restarted and it was fine again.

That was on the way to VP Autos in Hemel Hempstead (top marks to them, btw - second plug in one evening) for new shocks and brake pads, and although I didn't ask them to investigate the injection problem specifically (as I needed the car back for the afternoon), they did stick it on the diagnostic machine but said there were no stored codes.

Obviously it could be many different things, so I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and get it looked at properly, and my wife is insisting I do it soon, after one too many stalls the other day (in the way of an oncoming truck, and much subsequent praying that my 3yo in the back seat didn't understand my obscene screaming enough to pick it up).

I have read a few things on here and on the Parkers forum about faulty "Heater Coils/Plugs/whatever" (presumably meaning Glowplugs, in old diesel-speak, or perhaps not). Please could somebody elaborate on this?

Thanks, and sorry for the long post. I do like the car really, but it's cost me more than I would like already.

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
The heater plugs (or glow plugs) won't cause the car to stall.They are there primarily to aid cold starting and used very seldom at other times.

If your car was showing an engine management fault,then there should have been a code logged in the ECU.This code doesn't neccessarily tell you the fault with the car,but it can point you the right direction.It's strange that in your case the light is regularly on,but no codes were stored.

It really is a job to say where your problem lays,but it's unusual for a diesel to stall when idleing.It could be fuel pressure related,but that would be just a wild guess!.:eek:

Sorry I can't be more help.:eek:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The heater plugs (or glow plugs) won't cause the car to stall.They are there primarily to aid cold starting and used very seldom at other times.
That's what I thought.

Like I said, the stalling doesn't seem to be related to whether it's hot or cold. It doesn't just stop running by itself, though - it *is* a real stall (ie. it doesn't respond to the throttle quick enough for my left foot).

My 1997 Peugeot 306 D-Turbo was a lot more forgiving of "not enough throttle" or generally being in too high a gear. This one seems to be much more likely to stop dead if you make it run too slow.

It's strange that in your case the light is regularly on, but no codes were stored.
That too, but that's what VP told me.

Oh well, thanks for your help anyway! :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Does the car stalling happen when the fault is flagged up on your display? if so this could be because when a fault is detected the ECU goes into SAFE mode which will mean a reduction in power and revs to protect the engine.

Have you tried a different fuel supplier (some like myself only get injection errors when using supermarket (tesco)deisel)

Tom

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You put your foot on the throttle to accelerate to move away, and it doesn't rev up. Maybe a second later it will beep and show "Injection Fault" and then almost always stall. It can sometimes take ten seconds to get it started again (several presses of the START/STOP button, perhaps with one failed actual start). Once it starts, it's fine again.

I use diesel from all over the place, and hardly ever cheap supermarket stuff, certainly not recently.

That said, it hasn't stalled for several days now, after filling it up on the way home from our mini-holiday last weekend (although we didn't use the car much during the week). If only I could remember what type of garage I actually filled it up at! :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi did u ever find out why the Injector Fault message came on with the STOP light ? As i have a megane 1.9 dci and this has started doing this today although it hasnt stalled on me yet !!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi, i had the same problem, similar to yours with "injection fault" have you checked the egr valve and do you have the haynes manual?? its not hard trust me im a beginner, i learnt from my dad and the trusty haynes manual, as i had problems after coming back from a 2 week skiing trip, the egr valve is a pain in the ¤¤¤¤ and plenty of people, of which im now starting to find out all have the same problem, firstly,

take off the plastic engine housing

on the back of the engine you will see a valve sticking up, which is half covered in black plastic with an electronic connector plugged in on the right hand side of it and its attached by 3 10mm hex nuts,

with the ignition OFF and the key card REMOVED, disconnect the electronics, then undo all 3 bolts, DON'T drop them down the back cause you will have to remove the engine tray to retrieve them,

carefully twist the valve in both directions till it comes free, mine only took one and it came out, making sure you pull it out straight and not at an angle!!

there is a stainless steel gasket attached to the valve, this can be removed, cleaned up (be gentle) and as long as its in one piece reuse it, renault said it should be ok, i got a spare, but the original one has been used!!

you will then be faced with a valve which is full of black gunky deposits (carbon), i used a tooth brush sized wire brush (again be gentle ), a dozen cotton buds, and 2 cans of carb cleaner, it took me about 2 hours to do mine.

once all the carbon has been cleaned away, refit the gasket to the egr valve, place back into postion, insert all 3 bolts, pull them up fairly tight but don't overdo it, reconnect the electronics, refit the engine cover and it should run sweet as a nut, mine once again after that goes like a train and i only got the 1.5dci!! :d

Renault wanted £300 to do the job!!

If you want any pics i can e-mail them to ya, i took some to show my ole man while i was doing the job:d

:beer:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hi guys,

Thanks for the helpful info. My Laguna II 1.9dci 130 initiale sport tourer 06 has displayed the same message 2 or 3 times in the past few weeks now. Am having an MOT and full service done this weekend. Will be replacing the glow plugs too just to be on the safe side as I don't know if they have ever been replaced. Will do the clean-up of the EGR valve on Sunday and report back.

My local service garage has agreed for me to supply all the parts I need replacing which I think is a good thing. I've called 2 parts retailers and both recommend Comma engine oil, can anyone comment on this brand of oil?

Thanks in advance
M

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have just had this exact fault.
"McLaren" - I had the glow plugs replaced to fix this issue, it did not work... glow plugs are only used for starting from cold, not when running!
"AO55RKE" - My cars issues (exactly what you discribed) was fixed with a £30 crank shaft sensor (easy to fit, in 10mm bolt and unclip the cable)

The resistance over the two pins should be ~800ohms (give or take 80)...mine's was reading 0!!!!

G

·
Registered
74 Posts
Thanks westie666
My car doesn't have any problems starting and has never stalled, neither has the performance change in any way. Just get the message on the dash. Had a look on the Euro Car Parts website, crankshaft sensor is about £33 and a seal is about £5. Strange that yours reads 0 ohms even though it's an intermittent message! You would assume that if it reads 0 ohms the message would be permanently on the dash.

Thanks anyway, will have a look at these and report back after the weekend.
BTW - Is the crankshaft sensor easy to find, is it located on the cam belt side of the engine?
Cheers
M

·
Registered
81 Posts
Thanks westie666
My car doesn't have any problems starting and has never stalled, neither has the performance change in any way. Just get the message on the dash. Had a look on the Euro Car Parts website, crankshaft sensor is about £33 and a seal is about £5. Strange that yours reads 0 ohms even though it's an intermittent message! You would assume that if it reads 0 ohms the message would be permanently on the dash.

Thanks anyway, will have a look at these and report back after the weekend.
BTW - Is the crankshaft sensor easy to find, is it located on the cam belt side of the engine?
Cheers
M

Mine was intermittent for 6 months until Monday last week, when the car would crank and crank but not start. AA diag'd it yesterday to a dead sensor.
For the 6 months though the car ran perfectly, no issues with the running, only the warning for the 1st 10 mins of a journey, then fine. Only would appear if car had been left for a few hours.
Just in the last month things went wonky.

It is really easy...if you car still has the splash guard, throw that away ;) if you lay under the car looking up, it is mounted at the front of engine, just slightly to the passenger side of the center of the car.
There is a 10mm bolt holding it to the engine (bolt located above where you can see the sensor, remove bolt, remove cable and pull sensor towards the radiator to remove.

G

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
Always ensure the engine undertray (splashguard) is fitted correctly. It is well known for small stones from the road to get thrown up and get caught in the auxiliary belt causing it to fail and then it takes the timing belt with it resulting in a damaged engine - you have been advised - I strongly advise you don't take the risk.:)

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
Modern diesel engines can start easily with only one faulty glow-plug. As long as the ignition is switched on they continously have a low voltage supply which monitors their condition and if the ECU detects one or more at fault it will throw up an engine managemnt fault. The glow-plugs can be tested in situ., by checking their resistance which should read 0.6 ohms if in good condition. If the engine is starting and running OK it may well be a duff glow-plug is causing the dash fault to arise - also a dirty ot sticking EGR valve can give similar symptoms.
A duff or dirty TDC sensor or its electrical connections usually results in poor starting or a misfire. In 80% of cases a clean-up of the TDC sensor and ensuring it electrical connections are clean and sound cures a TDC sensor problem.:)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Modern diesel engines can start easily with only one faulty glow-plug. As long as the ignition is switched on they continously have a low voltage supply which monitors their condition and if the ECU detects one or more at fault it will throw up an engine managemnt fault. The glow-plugs can be tested in situ., by checking their resistance which should read 0.6 ohms if in good condition. If the engine is starting and running OK it may well be a duff glow-plug is causing the dash fault to arise - also a dirty ot sticking EGR valve can give similar symptoms.
A duff or dirty TDC sensor or its electrical connections usually results in poor starting or a misfire. In 80% of cases a clean-up of the TDC sensor and ensuring it electrical connections are clean and sound cures a TDC sensor problem.:)
Thanks Madnoel....This is the info I could have done with a fortnight ago!! ;)

G

·
Registered
3 Posts
hi ive just bought my 2003 megane scenic on sat drove it to london today (Monday) and when i went above 3000rpm in 5th gear the "check injection" was displayed and the service light came on. the car was only serviced and MOT'D recently and ive read the posts on here but unsure if any1 knew of a final outcome??? also was wondering mines is the 1.9 DCI and is very very sluggish top speed ive had is about 85 and the turbo kicks in but there is no pull to it whatsoever is this normal for the 1.9 model unsure as its my first diesel car. cheers.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts