Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,yes i know im a doyle ive got the cams mixed up and need to know what identifies each cam :crazy:i have some numbers here and any help is greatly appreciated L1A 151 10:30
1500133 K4A 894L4,Thanks in advance from the doyle:confused:

·
Premium Member
803 Posts
I'm pretty sure in the middle of each cam there I'd two rings engraved around them. One has two rings close together and the other the rings are slightly further apart. I'd need to check which is inlet and which is exhaust though

R

·
0 Posts
Ive got a knackered 2.0 F4R cylinder head in the garage I can look at tomorrow and post up a photo with the cams in their timing positions. Would think the cam lobes would be in the same position as for the 1.6 if that helps.

I have found the information in the book of lies about cam shaft identification is useless.

·
Premium Member
803 Posts
That's quite possible recycled scenic. I have been in the same situation before though and did find id marks in documents.

R

·
0 Posts
That's quite possible recycled scenic. I have been in the same situation before though and did find id marks in documents.
It happened to me a while ago with a 1.4 K4J the cam shafts where marked but not as stated in the Haynes manual. So I resorted to looking at the position of the lobes I could see on the inlet cam shaft through the oil filler point of another K4J set at TDC

R

·
0 Posts
Here are some photos of a 2.0 F4R 16 valve engine from a Scenic with the cam shafts set at TDC obviously one using a setting tool.

With the engines that have dephaser pulleys it’s easy to tell which cam shaft belongs where as the inlet cam shaft uses a bolt to retain the pulley to the cam shaft and the exhaust cam shaft has a stud in the end of the shaft for the pulley retaining nut and the inlet cam shaft is also slightly longer than the exhaust cam shaft.

The 1.4 K4J, 1.6 K4M, 1.8 F4P & 2.0 F4R all use the same cam shafts setting tool so I make the assumption that all the cam lobes on all 4 engines will be orientated the same way when set at TDC? I stand to be corrected.

So as long as you have both your cam shafts in the cylinder head set at TDC with the cam lobes of No1 cylinder inclined towards one another you should be okay.

I’m going to be starting work on a 1.4 K4J ( same cam shafts as the K4M I believe? ) shortly with a broken timing belt so will take some photos of the cam shafts in their correct positions for my own reference purposes and will post those in this thread to.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Look for the two grooves at the midsection of each shaft. Two close together is inlet, two spaced apart is exhaust. I don't know if all the camshafts have them, but my K4M700 did.
Hi,thanks to all the problem is now solved,on refitting the cam cover we managed to snap a bolt :mad: so will have to drill it out,gonna do this on friday(bought new bolts)and let you all know how we get on,BIG thanks for all your advice,will proberly need some more haha.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts