Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,

I have a 1984 1649cc Trafic campervan and want to know what bleed nipples it has.

Rear right bleed nipple is really rusted and was seized, it was fairly rounded when I went to try and bleed the brakes. I have managed to get it out in one piece but am unsure what size it is so I can order some new ones online. It measures 9.5mm across the thread which google tells me is 3/8, thread length is only about 7mm, no idea how to measure the pitch though, it measures 30mm overall. The nut that sort of fitted it was a 7/32 and an 11mm, had to use mull-grips to get it out so hex is now pretty knackered!
In case I have problems with the others, (no bleed on left side rear, 2 on each front caliper) I thought I'd get enough to replace them all, are the front ones going to be the same size as the rear one does anybody know? Also, when I come to bleed it, I know to start at the back but when it comes to the front double ones, is there a sequence I should do them in?

Thanks in advance for any assistance

Janine

Just had a quick look and seems front nipples are much smaller, so have answered my own question on that, but have no idea what size they are gonna be without pulling one out.

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
If you can temporarily remove the bleed nipple and block the hole or clamp the nearest flexi-hose you could try finding a nut that fits its thread - that way you would have a sample to judge from. Also if you have some plasticine or Blue tack you could make an impression as a guide.

Knowing the make of caaliper or brake cylinder would also help.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,

I did temporarily take it out, that's how I got the measurements, but I'm still none the wiser as what to order.

Just a couple of corrections to my initial post, sockets (not nut) that sort of fit the hex are 7/16" (not 7/32) and 11mm.

I think I might have been better off putting this in the "older renaults pre-1992" section, anybody know if it's against the rules to post same thing in 2 areas?

Janine

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Found it quicker than I expected :nerd: Have a read through this one

http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/202-older-renaults-pre-1992/490001-brakes-8.html

Hope it helps.
Thanks Renoir White,

I shall pull the rear one again tomorrow and see if I can find enough flat surface on the hex and measure it with my vener gauge, I'll also try an 8mm spanner on the fronts, the ones I briefly looked at actually don't look rusted, here's hoping!!

I didn't see anything mentioned on bleed order in that thread, did I miss it? What page if you read it mentioned bleed sequence.

Do you think his 1990 van would have the same brake system as my 1984? were they using mm in France in 1984? Thought it might have been imperial that long ago, but I was just guessing.
He does mention that he has 2 front and one rear bleeder like mine has (the replyer not the thread poster)

·
Premium Member
6,563 Posts
Hi

France has officially used the metric measurement since 10th December 1799 so I think its safe to say your Van will be metric.:grin2:

From what I can find out from tinternet (I'm not a van owner) the back one would probably be M10 x 1.00 and the front if smaller M7 x 1.00

Suggest you pop into your local motor factor who sells them loose and get a few assorted sizes and keep any left overs for stock in your garage.

Alan

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
22,503 Posts
.........Do you think his 1990 van would have the same brake system as my 1984? were they using mm in France in 1984? Thought it might have been imperial that long ago, but I was just guessing.
He does mention that he has 2 front and one rear bleeder like mine has (the replyer not the thread poster)
The Metric system came from France, well before 1984 :grin2:
Can't remember when UK dropped Imperial units for most things but I left school in early 70s having learnt all in Imperial, went to college and had to learn ISO (Metric) while an apprentice in a company where everything was Imperial, whitworth threads with a smattering of Pipe threads (BSP) and USA UNF et al from some machine from over the pond.

Sorry, digressing.
Don't measure the hex, measure the thread, here are some standards but google is your friend.
You may need to find somewhere to get a thread gauge.
BLEED NIPPLES SCREWS VARIOUS SIZES MULTI LISTING BRAKES 7 8 9 10 mm 3/8 UNF | eBay

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
22,503 Posts
Don't apologise Alan, we just searched in different places :grin2:

If a Lucas system, could even be UNF, though I doubt it as I suspect Renault would have insisted on metric.

·
Premium Member
6,563 Posts
Don't apologise Alan, we just searched in different places :grin2:

If a Lucas system, could even be UNF, though I doubt it as I suspect Renault would have insisted on metric.
It will definitely be metric - unless of course a caliper from some other vehicle has been fitted at some point in the vans life.

·
Super Moderator
13,569 Posts
I think I might have been better off putting this in the "older renaults pre-1992" section, anybody know if it's against the rules to post same thing in 2 areas?

Janine
Moved

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dancingdad, I did measure the thread across-ways ie the diameter of it, is that what you mean? vener gauge reckoned 9.52mm which google tells me is 3/8". shall pull it out again tomorrow or maybe monday (think supposed to be doing something for mothers day) and re-measure it shall measure and count the thread too. I was hoping to buy cheap on ebay but maybe as suggested just take it to my car parts man.

Thanks

Janine

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
9,223 Posts
Rear is a weird drum not caliper, got some sort of spring all way round it too.
Best if you can post up photos. Even if someone hasn't seen a traffic drum (including me) at least several of us understand the mechanical fittings and principles we are looking at.

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
Hi All,

I have a 1984 1649cc Trafic campervan and want to know what bleed nipples it has.

Rear right bleed nipple is really rusted and was seized, it was fairly rounded when I went to try and bleed the brakes. I have managed to get it out in one piece but am unsure what size it is so I can order some new ones online. It measures 9.5mm across the thread which google tells me is 3/8, thread length is only about 7mm, no idea how to measure the pitch though, it measures 30mm overall. The nut that sort of fitted it was a 7/32 and an 11mm, had to use mull-grips to get it out so hex is now pretty knackered!
In case I have problems with the others, (no bleed on left side rear, 2 on each front caliper) I thought I'd get enough to replace them all, are the front ones going to be the same size as the rear one does anybody know? Also, when I come to bleed it, I know to start at the back but when it comes to the front double ones, is there a sequence I should do them in?

Thanks in advance for any assistance

Janine

Just had a quick look and seems front nipples are much smaller, so have answered my own question on that, but have no idea what size they are gonna be without pulling one out.
For a quick fix have a look on eBay for a complete cylinder for you registration number then if reasonable price buy one remove the bleed nipple make sure you're fits leave it and put the new nipple into your brake cylinder?

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
Well it had to happen.

Thinking of buying another Trafic got to be petrol and late with power steering not long till the right time of year too buyers market wise.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts