Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
Hope everyone is well. Drove my van yesterday, no problem. Parked up normally but today no spark from electronic unit. Replaced HT to distributor and checked connections as best I can; but nothing. I am not very competent or knowledgeable regarding electrical issues and frankly somewhat intimidated by the wiring. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and or perhaps contact details of a competent auto electrician. Thanks.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Check to see if you have power to Renix electronic unit , ( should have sticker with RE250 on) there are 2 wiring plugs below HT lead to ign coil , pull out bottom plug , with ignition turned on only ( not starter turn over ) check to see if you have 12v power across the 2 wires , if not , follow these wires to conn block ( about 6inch along ) pull this conn apart and check again - usually bad connection /ground etc , 32 years of corrosion of electrics is the main problem with these old vans - let us know how you get on !

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check to see if you have power to Renix electronic unit , ( should have sticker with RE250 on) there are 2 wiring plugs below HT lead to ign coil , pull out bottom plug , with ignition turned on only ( not starter turn over ) check to see if you have 12v power across the 2 wires , if not , follow these wires to conn block ( about 6inch along ) pull this conn apart and check again - usually bad connection /ground etc , 32 years of corrosion of electrics is the main problem with these old vans - let us know how you get on !
Many thanks OPBob. I have checked connections but will certainly check again in the morning. The van doesn’t have a Coil.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Many thanks OPBob. I have checked connections but will certainly check again in the morning. The van doesn’t have a Coil.
the coil is the square chunk of metal that is bolted onto the renix unit that the HT lead from dizzy cap is connected to :cool:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again. I will look in the morning. Please excuse my ignorance but I have no idea what a dizzy cap is; the female end of the HT Lead attaches to a metal protrusion on the electronic unit and then on to the distributor cap.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you fellers; OPBod, I have looked for a connection by the HT lead with two wires in order to check for power in to the Unit but failed to find it. Is it possible to identify it in this photo? Many thanks.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks OPBob, that was quick. My unit is a little different; is it significant that it is RE250? The only plug with two wires appears to be the one that to to the TDC sensor.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Ok - test the plug as shown in photo , if 3 wires , center wire (in plug ) is ground/earth , of the other 2 - 1 = power 12V think the other goes to rev counter if fitted - you can also check the 2 wire sensor plug resistance , multimeter across to 2 wires should measure around 200 ohms +/- 50 ohms , any more or short circuit = knackered sensor.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks FraserL, OPB & DD(the insertion of the arrow is impressive). I have 12 volts at that point. I have endeavoured to clean connections and earths.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No Rev counter. Am I asking too much for a complete idiots guide to how to check resistance? I have a multimeter but only ever used to check volts.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No Rev counter. Am I asking too much for a complete idiots guide to how to check resistance? I have a multimeter but only ever used to check volts.
Turn your meter dial to this symbol
Ok - test the plug as shown in photo , if 3 wires , center wire (in plug ) is ground/earth , of the other 2 - 1 = power 12V think the other goes to rev counter if fitted - you can also check the 2 wire sensor plug resistance , multimeter across to 2 wires should measure around 200 ohms +/- 50 ohms , any more or short circuit = knackered sensor.
I achieve a reading of 184.4 so I’m guessing o need to look elsewhere. Any ideas welcome. Thanks.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
An afterthought: I assume I am checking absence of spark correctly by holding Distributor end of HT close to mental to check for spark jumping the gap?

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
39,780 Posts
Is this with the spark plug in the plug lead
Its take a spark plug out, refit to the lead, lay the lead on anything metal on the engine.
Crank the engine you should see a spark,

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Is this with the spark plug in the plug lead
Its take a spark plug out, refit to the lead, lay the lead on anything metal on the engine.
Crank the engine you should see a spark,
I regret that I have no spark either at the distributor end of the HT lead or at spark plug. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for everyone’s input. Keep healthy out there.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts