Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
If anyone has come across the following, could you post a reply plz, before car gets scrapped, which will be a real waste.

Car was driven yesterday no problems at all, then today went out to it, and it refused to turn over.

The dash lights flicker in time with the fuel ECU buzzing... also the rear fuel pump...... there also appears to be a noise coming from the injector rail. You turn the key as if to start and there is nothing there, no starter kicking in at all, all except the noises I have mentioned above.
The starter motor was replaced a few weeks ago, so cannot be that, no wires are loose on Starter either, all the usual wiring blocks have been checked for corrosion and sprayed to make sure of a connection.
When the starter did pack in recently, the lights all worked fine on dash, and went out when key turned to start etc. This time is different, they are flickering..and staying lit in tandem with Fuel ECU buzzing... this is what I find odd??

Thanks in advance, open to suggestions, think we have tried almost everything, apart from a fuel ecu change... which will cost more than value of car i suspect.
:tumbleweed:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi Devilster,

Checkout this thread:
renault-clio-ii-electronics-top-dead-centre-sensor

I had identical symptoms on my Clio, which I fixed today by fitting a new earth strap. The old one (which took me ages to find) was really badly corroded and crumbled in my hands. Another guy on the thread had the same problem.

You can test it by putting a jump cable from the Negative terminal on the battery to the Engine Block. If the starter turns then it is definitely the earth strap.

Suggest you start there. Seemed like a major problem, but if the starter isn't turning over then the circuit isn't complete and if the starter is new then I think its a safe bet the earth is gone.

Hope it helps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Spot on Pete....... was corroded earth wire...... changed car running, although a bit flooded on plugs after all the turns.

Cheers.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts