Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again,
Does anyone know which other engines (petrol) would mate to the original gearbox in my Espace, I want to change over to petrol before diesel is taxed out of existence, I wish to keep this car.
Many thanks

·
Premium Member
1,810 Posts
I would have thought the cost of doing this, would far out weigh any future price increase on Diesel

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
22,752 Posts
I would have thought the cost of doing this, would far out weigh any future price increase on Diesel
Must admit that was my thought.
Won't help with things like Emission zones either unless you manage to stuff a modern petrol engine with all the relevant ECU, CAT and get it certified as compliant.

This the 2.2 DCI engine ???

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Mike
Thanks for the reply, I'm not bothered about the cost, I intend to keep this car, until the government take my licence anyway, it's the car I want to keep, also I'll be converting to lpg, as I said, it's not about the cash I just want to keep my precious espace on the road
Cheers
Andy

·
22,752 Posts
Would the diesel car share the same gearbox ratios as the petrol versions?
Good point and probably not. Though may only be the final drive ratio in the diff that is different.
However as usable revs and power band will vary quite dramatically between the two, I would not bet on that.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I suspect it will just be the diff, but I don't mind if it does end up low geared though, I'm not a speed fan.
I thought maybe there'd be a peugeot engine compatible.

·
Premium Member
1,810 Posts
I think you need to take your tinfoil hat off and take some deep breaths, there is no way in "your" lifetime or mine, we will see the cost of diesel being taxed of of existence. If you car means that much to you tuck it up nice and safe in a garage and buy a cheap petrol run about, that will be a lot cheaper than you converting this, and i know you said its not about the money, but you are contradicting yourself, because you have already said you want to do the conversion because of the cost of diesel, so it is about the money.....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's nothing to do with tax and the cost of things, I want to keep it original Renault, put in a petrol engine and then run it on lpg...... Simples. I have a brand new BMW for "high days" and "holidays", this is my run around......... my permanent project.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'd love to find an engine and box, that would be problem solved, I wouldn't mind an old laguna, that would work, but been looking for a year now, something will turn up I'm sure.

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
9,257 Posts
Also I think there are some city's in the world that exclude old diesel vehicles.
Never mind exclusion but there will be a growing trend of cities implementing LEZ's & ULEZ's .. Low Emission Zones and Ultra Low Emission Zones such as operating in London (in addition to the Congestion Charge).
These daily charges make it costly to run an older diesel without affecting the taxation on the fuel, but making them unviable for anyone without a healthy income.

·
22,752 Posts
Also I think there are some city's in the world that exclude old diesel vehicles.
Quite a few now or in planning around the UK
Really reduced options for Youngest with her new car.
But simply stuffing in a petrol and lpg will not sort.
Has to meet emissions standards and be certified
Which basically means donor engine plus ECU plus injection plus all the other gubbins from 2000 car or later

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
9,257 Posts
, put in a petrol engine and then run it on lpg......
How much support from fuel retailers is there for LPG nowadays? Won't it end up a forgotten product/technology as companies are now putting all interest into facilities for Electric power. A bit like having a domestic parrafin heater .. they were good in their day but H&S has killed them off too.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You're probably right, I'll mothball it and wait for the development of the hydrogen cells lol.
I think lpg would be OK for the next few years though.
If we maintain the current administration and brexit goes ahead I'll not be too bothered.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts