Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

So my wee trafic is coming together now.

Flushed the brake system yesterday and what came out was more like mud than brake fluid.

Anyway I took it up the motorway and I've found that it drones quite badly. It starts around 35mph and gets quite loud by about 60mph.

I've a feeling that the van has been sitting a long time. The brake fluid was one thing that made me think that.

Just wanted to get an opinion here on this as someone suggested to me it might be a bearing noise. I don't think I've ever heard a bearing noise that sounded like a drone. More of a resonant wail if anything.

So it starts as a low drone and kind of starts to resonate through the front of the van as I pick up speed.

What yous reckon? Tyre or bearing?

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
24,387 Posts
Either or.....
Or pads/discs
Or drive shaft
I assume the drone varies with road speed and not revs given the way you describe.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi

Thanks for the response.

I don't think it's pads or disks. The disks are a bit worn but seem ok. And the pads look quite new.

Drive shaft is a new and unsettling option. Hope it's not that!

There's not any noticible free play in the front right wheel where the noise seems to originate. That's something I'd check on a motorcycle. Not sure it's a valid test on this beast.

It's wild loud inside at speed so I hope I can find a solution. This is something I'm not that familiar with but I was wondering if it's safe to swap the front wheels over. The tyres would be rolling backwards but I'm not sure if that's a big deal. Tyre tech isn't my strong suit.

Would appreciate some advice on how to narrow this down.

Cheers

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
9,519 Posts
Probably tracking is out. Mine is because of knackered inner ball joints and the tyre noise is loud. I'm just in the process of saving enough to have the job done and buy new tyres :confused:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts