Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I have bought aftermarket brakes for my 1996 clio 1.2 SPI

They would appear to be much wider than the old ones that are currently on the car.

I have been told that i would need wider calipers to support these discs. does anyone know what type of clio I could get these from and also would i need new brake pads.

Cheers, TJ

·
Still a Petrolhead but also like diesel
2,311 Posts
Hi Turbo Jordo, sounds like you've got the wrong disks ... maybe ones from a 1.4 or 1.6 Clio.
If your wanting to uprate them, try and get calipers from the car the disks were intended for, but watch out ... you may need to rebalance them and change the master cylinder and rear bias/balance limiter as well, otherwise you may get problems ....
If you looking to uprate in general then have a look at the TAR*OX kits, they are usually "replacement" and uprates without upsetting the cars characteristics, beware they are not cheap.

Hope it helps:)

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
Clio Brakes

Hi turbo - why go to all that bother after all its only a 1.2 Clio - doubt if it would ever go fast enough to need uprated brakes. Just get the ones you have changed to the correct ones and as already said there is a danger of upsetting the brake balance between front and rear - could cause you to lose control. Additionally the vehicle may then fail the MOT test - then that would be more money spent! When replacing disks on any vehicle it is essential to renew the brake pads or you will just damage the new ones. If in doubt take one off and go to a good motor factors and they should be able to sort you out. Brake efficiency isn't about size its about the quality and maintenance of what you already have. Additionally any changes as you are contemplating would infringe your car insurance policy - kepp it legal.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts