Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a problem with my 1996 Laguna 2.2 diesel.

It's nothing major but it's beginning to get very annoying! :steam: :confused:

The engine coolant temperature gauge behaves strangely whenever anything electrical is switched on. Turn the indicator on and it ticks up and down, turn the headlights on and it jumps up several mm and does the same if you put your foot on the brake. When it's not suffering interference it reads correctly. None of the other gauges are affected in this way only the engine coolant temperature gauge.

I'm thinking that it must be a poor earth somewhere but I don't where to look. :confused:

Could anyone tell me where the earths are for the dash loom and the temperature gauge itself please.

Ta muchly :)

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Sounds very like a voltage drop problem - I suggest you have the alternator output checked as this can affect voltge quite considerably.:)

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Not that this will be any help but, my old 1.8 RT Sport started doing exactly the same thing about a week before I traded it in. I too was a bit perplexed as to what it could be .... I was thinking along the same lines or maybe there was a voltage regulator fitted to the dash pod somewhere that was going wonky.

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
hi if it was the voltage regulator or the alternator it would effect the fuel guage as well had it several time over the years one time it turned out to be the engine earth strap wich i found out when it knackered the throttle cable when it used it as another path
john

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fixed!

Today I checked the main earth strap from the body to the gearbox casing underneath the battery. It was a tiny bit corroded but it really didn't look to bad.

I cleaned it up and lo and behold the temperature gauge is rock steady no matter what else is switched on :)

Thanks for all the replies and advice :beer:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts