Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help, can anyone help me please.

:confused: I have just bought a new caravan and have now been told that my 1997 Renault Laguna 1783cc won't be able to tow it. Can anyone confirm the definate braked and unbraked towing weight of my vehicle.

Rather Urgent !! Many thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
i contacted renault customer services via e mail and they sent me the details stating that i could tow to max of 3000kgs with my grand scenic, suggestions are to get this so called standard letter and put it in your handbook,in case of problems.the handbook states i should only tow 850kgs which is very,very low, i dont know how they calculate it.hope you have it resolved quickly customer services replied quick to me.cheers linzicol see thread grand scenic cant tow a thing..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1997 Renault Laguna Towing Weight Reply

Thank you so much for those that responded to my problem. This is the first time I have used this forum, so I hope you get this reply, (blonde and a little unsure).

I understand what you mean about the renault handbook. We have actually lost our book and on phoning Renault customer service, they said the towing weight both unbraked and braked was 650kg. I find this exceptionally low, and a little unrealistic especially as we have been towing a large trailer for the past 3 years without any problem. The very nice and helpful chap I spoke to though did seem a little unsure, so I am hoping he is wrong.

If anyone else has any ideas, I would really appreciate a response.

Regards
Cosmic

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
Just how heavy is the caravan you're planning to tow? Do you have the MIRO or MTPLM figure? Have you tried plugging the details of your outfit into What TowCar.com - All about Towcars and Towing Caravans ?

650 sounds about right for unbraked. Legally, I think you can tow unbraked trailers up to half of the weight of the car or 750Kg, whichever is the lowest. 1300Kg sounds about right for the weight of a Laguna.

Braked towing weight should be higher, but I can only guess at the actual figures. I'm pretty sure that the towing figure for anything other than 'driver only' will be less than 1000Kg, but if you apply to Renault for written confirmation, you should get the okay to tow up to the gross train weight.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Hi Horatio,

Many thanks for your reply.

The unladen weight of the caravan is 1029 and laden 1300, are these the MIRO and MTPLM figures you mentioned??
Can't you tell 1st time caravaners !!!!

Many thanks
Cosmic

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
You're welcome. And welcome to the wonderful world of holding people up on Britain's roads :p If you can't beat 'em, join 'em, I say :d

I've done a bit of digging in our spare bedroom, and found the handbook for my first Laguna I. This lists some towing weights in the back, but they're even more confusing than Renault's usual weird figures (typically a 'driver only' figure and an 'all other cases' figure that's several hundred kilos less.)

The MIRO figure is Mass in Running Order. It's the weight of the caravan including stuff that would normally be considered part of it (gas bottles, battery etc.) but with no other payload, and (I think) empty water tanks. If your caravan is quite an old one (mid 80's or earlier) then you might have the Ex-Works weight instead, which is just the weight of the caravan, and the gas bottles etc. have to be counted as part of the payload.

The MTPLM figure is Maxiumum Technical Permitted Laden Mass. It's the weight that the caravan must not exceed, including payload. The difference between MTPLM and MIRO dictates the maximum payload that the caravan can carry. So if you added 270Kg of payload to your caravan, it'd reach the 1300Kg figure. Any more than that, and you'd be exceeding the figure for the caravan, regardless of whether the car could still tow it.

Back to the car... This is from the phase 1 handbook with the 1.8 8v engine. If you have the 16v, then the figures will probably be different, and if you have the 7 seater estate, then we probably need to scrap all of this and start again :p

There are three sets of figures for the 1.8, depending on your oval plate number, but each of them should easily give you 1300Kg of towing ability. The worst case scenario has a maximum gross train weight of 2660Kg from a vehicle that weights 1230Kg. That gives you just over 1400Kg of trailer and payload to play with. The best case has the car weighing 1240 wtih a train weight of 2850. That'd give you 1610 to play with. Subtract the MIRO (the 1029) figure from either of those, and that's how much payload you can carry (including driver and passengers) in total between the car and caravan. That's 370Kg for the worst case, and a respectable 581Kg for the best.

It pays to try to keep most of the weight in the car, but don't load too much over the rear axle. If you're driving '2 up', then put heavy stuff in the rear passenger footwells. If the car's going to be full of passengers, then consider a roof box (but remember the 70Kg roof bar limit.) With both car and caravan empty, you're pretty much bang on the 85% guideline for people new to towing. Load too much into the caravan, and you'll take it quite a way above that. Don't forget the usual stuff - keep the heavy stuff low down and on or slightly (no more than a foot or so) to the rear of the axle. Keep the noseweight to the limit for the car (75Kg?) and if you need to reduce this weight, do so by moving things from the front of the 'van towards the axle, rather than moving things from the axle towards the rear. If you really want to go into this forewarned and forearmed, here's a damned good book:

Amazon.co.uk: Roadcraft: Towing: The Essential Towing Handbook (Tso): Books: Philip Coyne

Anyway these figures should give you some hope, as long as you can get a note from Renault to allow you to tow up to the maximum gross train weight. Take the trouble to do this, as if you're ever stopped and checked by the police, you may have to produce this document to prove that you're legal.

I should add that my 140bhp 2.0 IDE wasn't quick towing a 17 footer of about the same weight, so you'll probably find that 5th gear is but a distant memory for motorway driving, and that hill starts are going to be 'fun.'

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Horatio,
You wonderful, wonderful man. How can I ever thank you. Although I have to say, i have sat here crying tears of laughter as I have got so confused:rofl: that's because of me being blonde and female though I think.

This caravaning business was just turning into a very expensive hobby, as I was looking for a new car. Mind you, even worse I even looked a houses last night as our driveway is too steep to house the van:rofl:

So you think its best to get intouch with my local Renault dealer and get written confirmation with regard to towing the gross train weight?? :)

Regards
Cosmic

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
No worries! I'm just glad to be of help :d

I wouldn't bother asking the dealers. If you found one that knew the answer, I'd consider you extremely flukey.

Go straight to RCS instead. You should be able to get the phone number if you click on the highlighted 'RCS' above. They should be able to confirm the gross train weight over the phone, but still be sure to get it in writing.

Yep, housing the things can be a bit of a nightmare. Our 17 footer just fits on the front of the house (with about 3 inches to spare.) That's great, except that we've just been offered an 18 footer in excellent nick at a price that's too good to pass up. It's going to have to stay in storage.

If yours won't fit on the front of the house, then that might be your best option too. Prices vary, but start at around 20-25 quid a month around here for outdoor storage. Some places offer indoor storage too, but at a hefty premium.

Caravan Storage Site Owners' Association

There's pros and cons of either method. Keeping the caravan at home means you can take your time loading and unloading it at either end of the holiday. If you need something and you've left it in the 'van, then it's not much of a trip to go and get it. Better still, in the winter, you can hook it up to the mains and run a dehumidifier or small heater if you're concerned about damp. You can even use it for storage (as a shed) when you're not actually out and about in it.

The down-side is that sometimes you just haven't got the room. Then there's the fact that the local pond-life will soon become aware that you normally have a caravan outside your house, and so if it disappears, it's a good indicator that your home is available to be pillaged. Touch wood, that hasn't happened to us yet, but I have heard the horror stories.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Horatio, you are worth your weight in gold.

Thank you thank you. I have just been on the CSSOA site and found a site really close to us and they have storage space.:) :) :) Am going to see it to check out the security etc.

I shall certainly recommend this site to anyone else who has a problem or query regarding their Renault.

Many thanks
Cosmic

1 - 10 of 10 Posts