Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

Since its a couple of weeks since I picked it up, just thought I'd add a couple of snaps taken today.

Haven't done much (thankfully), other than check over fluid levels & tyre pressures. Repainted the alloys yesterday, just to tidy them up a bit.

Car is giving an easy 45-55mpg, so very pleased with that.

I call it Mighty Mouse!

The door signs are magnetic, and the window signs are self-cling, so it can easily be converted back to stock.

Enjoy!

Paul

Attachments

·
Administrator
21,725 Posts
Looking good Paul. Much better than a motorbike to get to jobs on, you wont get wet for starters. ;)

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.

It does have those advantages Dave, plus I can carry equipment/supplies with me (or a set of alloys), plus, if heading out for quotes - I can bring the kids with me.

Neither of which was an option on 2 wheels.

With 54 BHP it's not a speed machine, but then I didn't need (or tbh) want that either.

Something I can maintain myself, and looks relatively smart (for a 13-year old car), fits my brief nicely.

Paul

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Even driving my van with a limit on revs of 2,000 - and hypermiling, I can only get 37mpg at best.

Not good enough since fuel has risen by 60p per litre since I started trading in 2005.

Still keeping the van for big or short-distance jobs, but the car's the real deal for distance or small tasks.

I didn't want an extra van, as insurance is the killer there (plus how its been used/abused).

Paul

D

·
0 Posts
I like the fact that everytime i put £60 worth of diesel in the truck, the tax man gives me a tenner back.
If i keep thinking like that, then the fuel price doesn't worry me too much as it's the customers paying for it in the end

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Aye, but since I have to travel twice (once to see/price the job & get paint codes, etc) and the next time to do th job, it either eats into my bottom line, or do I risk losing the job by adding the fuel cost onto the quote?

What makes it more difficult is that I moved house in Sep last year, and around 80-90% of my work is still from my 'old' location, some 50 miles away.

Since I can't have a motorbike again (long story, but I broke my leg on mine just before I moved house), this is the next best thing to imposing a call out charge - which no-one would wear in these hard times.

Paul

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Thats looking bloody Nice Paul:cool: your mpg is correct as thats what my 1108cc was getting and both engines are the same, running on the same spi unit and ecu ? not sure i would get that now though:devil:

Iam not sure where abouts you are now? but like i said any problems give me a shout iam glad to help if i can,although i don't have power steering or abs fitted to my Cento so iam not the familier with there set up,

Watch your steering rack doesn't go missing:devil::d iam looking for one for mine even though i don't have power steering fitted as it can be used on my Cento as a quick rack compared to mine:cool: most track guys fit them to the Cento's for quicker steering lock when auto testing but i haven't got round to buying one yet or finding a second hand unit at the right price,

Enjoy!

Cheers Don

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Donald.

I live in Dreghorn (near Irvine).

I think the ecu is the same, as I've since found out there was a later model (post-2000) with the mpi set-up.

I am enjoying it, its fun (in a perverse sort of way), and travelling with all the kids inside (and being a deep red), it all feels very Italian...and therefore very right.:cool:

Appreciate the positivity guys!

Paul

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Thanks Donald.

I live in Dreghorn (near Irvine).

I think the ecu is the same, as I've since found out there was a later model (post-2000) with the mpi set-up.

I am enjoying it, its fun (in a perverse sort of way), and travelling with all the kids inside (and being a deep red), it all feels very Italian...and therefore very right.:cool:

Appreciate the positivity guys!

Paul
OMG you couldn't have got any further away:d

Your right....both our ecu's are the same, although i don't have my 98 ecu fitted anymore, iam now using a 96 ecu as there chip is seated in not soldiered in like in the stock 98 ecu, its a little harder to remove them so most just use the 92-96 ecu then just remove the seated chip and replace it like i did with a super chip,

Glad to hear its working out for you:cool:there great wee cars and are very under rated,

Iam sure the kids being young will love it?not sure they will when they get a little older though:d

Cheers Don

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Luca has already driven it.:d

Sitting in my lap, on private ground behind the house.

If I'd moved any further, I'd be asking MN to move over a bit!

Its about 23 miles from Glasgow (same distance away from the city as before), just in a different direction.

Thanks again for your invaluable advice pre-purchase.

Paul

·
Premium Member
12,025 Posts
It's all about saving money these days Vel and that little cracker will do just that :) Not only can you use it for those wee work jobs but for a little run into town also for the top up shopping and no worrying about car park dings in the Merc ;)

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Its very useful for short hops, with quite a good boot as well.

When shopping, I tend to bring the van (no-one, and I mean no-one) parks next to a van with wrap-round bullbars...:d

Plus, its very useful advertising for all those returning to their pride & joy, then noticing the dings & scuffs, etc that other people have left as a sign of appreciation.

Very happy with the car, much better than my Ford Ka Lux ever was (and I liked that car very much).

Thanks,

Paul

1 - 16 of 16 Posts