Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi people, i'm new to this forum and this is my first post, i bought a 1998 clio few months back after i passed my test and everything was working fine until past few days. The oil pressure warning light keeps coming on intermittently, especially so if i'm in first gear in slow moving traffic or changing between 2nd and 3rd gear, it'll pop on for a few seconds, flicker and when i pick up speed it'll go back off. The first thing i did was check the oil level which is over half full and all over levels seem fine too. I know absolutely nothing about cars and i'm a student so cant afford to fix anything too major. Is this a serious problem?

thanks lisa

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yes first fill up to the proper level.
If that does not cure it, find out when it's had it's last service. Might have a clogged oil filter if service hasn't been done at the regular intervals.
You could try doing an oil and oil filter change yourself at approx £33. If that doesn't cure it, there might be a more serious problem that could involve you taking to a garage or renault dealer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the help have just went and bought the correct oil my boyfriend has offered to change oil and filter (which i'm not sure about - just posted about this) so hopefully that'll sort it i'll let ya know

thanks again
lisa

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Does the engine start to making strange noises when the oil light comes on?

It could be just a faulty oil pressure sensor,although if it's only happening at idle,that usually means that the oil pump getting weak or there is wear inside the engine causing the pressure to drop as the engine revs drop.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
theres no noticable difference in the engine noise at all, hopefully when i change the oil it will work, i dont like lights flashing in my car and as i'm a girl i worry about these things ;)

thanks a lot for your help

lisa

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Your absolutely right to be concerned!:)

If there is a problem with the oil pressure and if it was left,serious engine damage could be done.An awful lot of people I know(male or female) would carry on driving regardless,so you've done well.:).

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
hi there while your boyfreind is underthere changing the oil and filter get him to give the oil presure switch a look at itl be near the filter and only have 1 wire usually green in colour !make sure the connection is good!
if it still comes on after all this then sit in ur car with the engine running and get your boyfreind to wiggle the engine loom a bit and c if ur oil light comes on! if it does youve got a break in the wiring loom!
if that doesent make th light come on id try and replace the presure switch! good luck bigshow

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sorry for delay had computer probs (one thing after another) a simple top up of oil done the trick, i checked the level a few times and it was well over half way between min and max marker so didnt think it was running low but i'm not complaining thanks so much for all your help everyone!
lisa

1 - 12 of 12 Posts