Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - I've recently purchased a Scenic Monaco 2.0l petrol engine with aircon. It's a 1998 plate and I believe phase 1.

Since I've had it the blower seems slightly weak and it doesn't get that warm. It's not totally cold but far from what I'd expect. From searches on here I found a blocked pollen filter could cause this. It was packed with debris so I have replaced it but the problem persists. Where should I direct my attention next? I'm hoping there is a quick easy fix rather than flushing out the whole system.

Cheers, Alan

R

·
0 Posts
Yes you do have a Mk1 Phase1 Scenic.

The needle on temperature dial when warm should be about half way up? if it isn't then the engine is running cool and is likely to be a faulty thermostat? that will affect the heater output

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The needle on temperature dial when warm should be about half way up? if it isn't then the engine is running cool and is likely to be a faulty thermostat? that will affect the heater output
Thanks for the reply - the needle is pretty much bang in the middle though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i have the same problem on my renault espace, have been told it is blocked heater matrix, You need to flush cooling system and back flush the heating system

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i have the same problem on my renault espace, have been told it is blocked heater matrix, You need to flush cooling system and back flush the heating system
That what I was afraid of - doesn't sound an easy job. Since I bought the car as a bit of a luxury (to transport bikes around the place) I've got to do all the jobs myself and this one sounds messy!

·
Banned
30,789 Posts
Try removing the bottom hose and forcing water through a removed heater pipe.

You will have to use clamps to make sure the water goes the way you want it to.

PS.

Use bits of wood between the clamps & hose, to protect the rubber.

R

·
0 Posts
TI've got to do all the jobs myself and this one sounds messy!
It can certainly get a bit wet! :d

I would stick some radiator flush in the coolant a few days before you do it.

Though in my experience I have never had much success and have ended up having to replace the heater matrix to be able to extract good levels of heat.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ah the joys of oldish car ownership. I'm getting the timing belt changed soon so might see if I can get this added on at the same time. Otherwise it's a trip to a friends house with a garden and hose, as I live in a top floor flat. Not ideal.

·
Banned
30,789 Posts
Be careful you don't do that at a Renault dealer, because if you do they'll want to CHANGE the heater matrix, if you've got air con you're looking at + £600 quid this is what they wanted to charge me 3 cars back.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Be careful you don't do that at a Renault dealer, because if you do they'll want to CHANGE the heater matrix, if you've got air con you're looking at + £600 quid this is what they wanted to charge me 3 cars back.
That doesn't surprise me. They wanted to charge 650 for the timing belt too. Fortunately a friend of a friend owns a garage and can do the belt for 180 so am hoping a coolant change and radiator flush wouldn't be much extra.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts