Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hi
my 1998 scienic 1.9 dti will not start ,turns over ok immobiliser light goes off there is no fuel coming out of the pump it has got a f9q734 engine can anyone help please
thanks steve

·
Premium Member
13,522 Posts
At a guess it sounds like the pump has given up the ghost

·
Premium Member
13,522 Posts
Dont know if it is anything like a peugeot 406 that we had, but it had a lift pump on the fuel tank and another in the engine bay. The lift pump on the fuel tank had failed and therefore there was no fuel reaching the fuel pump in the engine bay. This happened in France during a booze cruise and the French guy who came out didnt have a clue. Thank goodness for AA european cover who relayed me back home.

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
HI Taz. There's no point in spending money if you don't know what to spend it on ( I maybe shouldn't have said that - the wife looking over my shoulder):)
Its a process of elimination. Work your way through this list.
1. Is there fuel in the tank
2. Is the fuel getting from the tank to fuel filter.
3. Is fuel leaving the filter cleanly with no air bubbles present.
3. Is the fuel filter clean (no dirt or water, etc)
4. Is the fuel getting to the main pump (at the engine) with no air bubbles present.
5. If there is a pump(known as scavange pump) in the fuel tank is it working. If you listen underneath the back seat you may be able to hear it running but it may only run for a short peroiod (a few seconds) when you turn the ignition.

As a matter if interest does the car have a multi-port outlet main fuel pump or is it common rail. If you work your way through the list you should be able to nail it down. Good Luck:)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes there is fuel in the tank
yes the fuel is getting from the tank to the filter
yes the fuel is leaing the filter cleanly with no bubble
yes the fuel filter is clean
yes fuel getting to the main pump at the engine
there is no pump in the fuel tank
i have got no feed to the solinoid on the diesel pump i have tried linking a live wire to it but it still will not spill fuel
regards to the pump it has 4 metal pipes which go to the top of the injectors

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
Dodgy fuel supply

Is there a bleeder on the fuel pump – if so is it delivering when you prime it. Could also be a faulty solenoid – they tend to fail in the closed position. Screw out the solenoid and test it to see if it works – you’ll see the plunger moving in and out. And try priming it with the solenoid out to see if fuel emerges clearly. If in doubt about supply to the pump take of the feed pipe and prime some fuel into a clean glass container watch for air bubbles and hold up to the light and inspect for contaminants. Did you get a new solenoid with the recon pump or did you use the old one. Looks like we are starting to narrow things down a bit. Good Luck:)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sorry madnoel10 dont know if i confused you but i am getting fuel supply to the solinoid but power to the solinoid is only there for a split second so i took the plunger out and still no fuel spilling

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
With the stop solenoid in place on the pump,with the ignition on,if you run a 12 volt feed straight to the valve from the battery,do you hear a clicking noise from the valve?.

I have had a similar experience with a Lag dTi and that had lost it's feed to all the engine sensors,and it was a corroded connection on the engine management control relay.I ran a 12 volt feed directly to the stop solenoid,and it would run,but only in limp mode.

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
HI Taz as Lag says it could be the solenoid - take it out - and test it. Connect two cables from the battery - positive to the terminal and negative to the metal body. On connecting it should make a distinctive click to open and another when it closes - you shoul dbe able to see the plunger moving. If it's OK then it sounds like an electrical fault but you should be able to bypass as Lag suggests. Keep us up-to-date on your progress. Good Luck:)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
have taken solinoid out tested it ,it works ok run a live wire directly to the solinoid and cranked it but the fuel is still not spilling out of the pump

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
Hi-Taz from what you say it looks like the solenoid is OK. When you prime with the squeezy bulb does it eventually get firm and difficult to squeeze. If every was OK it should go firm and remain firm - if not it could be a sign of a duff non-return valve. The problem with diesels is that they must have a constant flow of fuel. - the slightest amount of air in the system and they just won't pump.

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
Hi-Taz Looks like the fuel is getting delivered to the pump OK - if you leave the squeezy bulb does it go soft afterwhile and roughly how much later. Are the feed and delivery pipes connected correctly (you haven't put them on the wrong way round). Is there any obstruction in the return pipe. Was the replacement pump reconditoned by a recognised agent (Bosch, Lucas, etc.,). Have you tried opening the injector pipes at the injectors to se if any fuel flows and is the timing belt OK (no stripped teeth, etc).:)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
after 1.5 hours the bulb still has not gone soft, the feed and delivery pipes are on the correct way round the replacement pump was reconditioned by a reputable agent as for the injection pipe i took them off to check for diesel and the timing belt is ok

1 - 20 of 33 Posts