Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a problem with my 10/1998 petrol Clio.

It had this same problem a few years ago and the driver of the tow truck said it could be due to humidity. In fact, the day after it was towed, it went back to work and never had the problem until today.

The problem is turning the key and the starter engine is not even heard. The battery light flickers, indicating a poor contact somewhere. It may in fact be humidity.

The battery should be OK, because it was replaced this month and after that it worked flawlessly. The previous battery didn't go down, but it was already showing signs of being near end of life so I decided to change it before having problems with it.

The car starts easily with a slight push in a horizontal plane.

Does anyone have any tips? What component may have moisture?

Can it also be a bad earth/ground connection in rear ligths (as usual in this Clio model)?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
Have you checked the main earths from the battery to the body and more important the earth between the body and the engine. I haven't worked on a petrol Clio but the diesel Clio has this and it is a weak point due to corrosion.
If you take one jump lead and connect one end to a good ground point on the engine and the other to the negative on the battery and see if the car starts. If it starts your problem is the earth.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you checked the main earths from the battery to the body and more important the earth between the body and the engine. I haven't worked on a petrol Clio but the diesel Clio has this and it is a weak point due to corrosion.
If you take one jump lead and connect one end to a good ground point on the engine and the other to the negative on the battery and see if the car starts. If it starts your problem is the earth.
Tried connecting the minus pole in the battery to the engine but there was no difference, so I suppose it's not a faulty earth connection.

Also, the rear lights, although with a corroded ground pin/terminal (like usual in this model) there were no signs of moisture or water, it was pretty dry.

In another forum they mentioned the starting engine. What chances to I have if in fact it's the starter engine?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tried connecting the minus pole in the battery to the engine but there was no difference, so I suppose it's not a faulty earth connection.

Also, the rear lights, although with a corroded ground pin/terminal (like usual in this model) there were no signs of moisture or water, it was pretty dry.

In another forum they mentioned the starting engine. What chances to I have if in fact it's the starter engine?
It was not the starter engine. It was the "installation". It cost 41,25 EUR.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts