Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, this is my first ever post, but I'm glad I've found this forum.

There were some wet patches on my driveway, and looking underneath the engine I see that a little clear oil is present around the edge of the hole in the middle of the plastic engine cover.

The engine cover is bowed and the cap doesn't seem to fit - is this normal for an 8 year old vehicle which still runs well? What is the most likely cause of a slow oil leak which is only expelling clear oil, and is it serious?

Many thanks.

Keith

Attachments

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
If its clear oil I doubt if its engine or gearbox oil , engine oil on a diesel gets dirty soon after changing. Make sure its not brake fluid or power steering fluid

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
I'd remove the under tray and have a good look,Keith.From your picture it does look like engine oil,but power steering fluid leaks are common.The pipes for the system corrode and leak,but you'll usually notice that the steering gets noisy as the fluid runs out.Also,gearbox oil leaks are quite common,and can lead to premature gearbox failure.

I'd definately have a look for the leak,or at least get it checked out.

Welcome to the forum,by the way.:)

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
hi there id agree with all the others! by the looks of the under tray it would seem it has been a leakage for sometime! if this substance is of a srt of clear liguid does it smell? id be checking for a diesel leak or it could be from the hydrolics system! have a noise ound with top engine cover off and have a good look around check the brake reservoir!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Power Steering, I think.

Thanks all. I took off the top engine cover and had a poke around, and there is a little pool of something near to the inlet for the power steering fluid, the jubilee clip also being a bit damp. I had to top up the PS fluid with about 150ml, which I last checked a couple of months ago, so I guess it is this. The engine oil (from the dipstick) is black, so it's not that. Brake fluid and coolant are also looking fine.

Is it ok to keep topping up the PS fluid for a couple of weeks until I can get to a garage?

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Power steering leak

Hi Keith, At least you have found the problem. Keep a very close eye on it and if it were mine I would check it at least every day. If it runs out of fluid you could end up damaging the steering pump or worse still the power steering rack. To repair them could cost £200 - £1000.:)

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
well done keith glad you found the leak, as youve already been advised dont leave it to long before getting it repaired and in the meantime check it everyday! good luck bigshow

1 - 8 of 8 Posts