Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, the garage that mot'd my wifes 1.6 16v advised that the exhaust maifold has split/cracked.
Is a repair possible or do they not take kindly to being welded?

·
Premium Member
9,793 Posts
Yup, it is possible to have them welded but for how long it will last is another matter. Its also hard to find a welder that will do it.

I've had mine welded but i don't have much hope for it lasting forever, so i'm also actively looking for a new one just in case - i'd suggest you do the same ;)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ho hum! Thats what I thought. In which case, are all the 1.6 16v manifolds the same or does it have to be a coupe?
Is the 1.4 16v manifold the same?

Pete

·
Premium Member
9,793 Posts
Ho hum! Thats what I thought. In which case, are all the 1.6 16v manifolds the same or does it have to be a coupe?
Is the 1.4 16v manifold the same?

Pete
I'm not a mechanic, but i'm sure someone will come along with an answer shortly. They are quite rare though (because its such a common problem!) so put the feelers out and keep searching ebay :)

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
I'm not sure if the 1.4's are the same,but I do know that a new one from Renault is around £500......ouch!.Also,most scrappys have cottoned on to the fact that it's a common problem and charge a premium for second hand units.

I think the manifold on my 1.8 16 valve is beginning to go too......:(

·
Registered
5 Posts
There are 2 different types of manifold fitted to the 1.6 16valve (K4M) one type has a built in catalytic converter (cat) and the other has not. If it is of the type with a cat then there are then a further 2 variations which are not inter-changeable (different stud patterns) to get the correct manifold you need the casting number stamped on the righthand side of the manifold. Try CIT-REN LTD 01508 558655 they mail order late renault spares

1 - 8 of 8 Posts