Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

We have encounted an issue with our espace (mk3-1999 Renault espace 2.0 auto alize)

The key fob has no button and central locking cannot be operated from "outside" the car. (but locks fine using the interior locking switch)

The barrel on the passengers door just came out with the key and dosen't work at all,so at present cannot lock the car at all from the outside.

Any help will be much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
20,098 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.:)

The car should have remote central locking activated by a button on the key,if you don't have this then someone has messed about with it and got a replacement key cut.Does the key come apart at all?.And if so,is there a small chip inside of it?.if not then someone has also had the immobiliser removed from the car.

The easy thing to do would be to find another Espace either in a breakers yard or breaking for spares on eBay and buy a replacement passenger lock and key to fit it,this will allow you to at least secure the car from the outside.It does mean you will have two different keys but that's not a great problem.

Personally I'd be more concerned why you haven't got the key with the button at all,and the fact that the passengers lock came out of the door when you tried it.Have you had the car long?.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. The button on the key has come away, the rest of the inside of the key seems find, there just isn't a button to make the connection inside.

If I fit a new door lock with a new key and just have the 2 keys for the car (one for the new door lock and one for the ignition), would I need to do anything more? I've heard people comment about Central Locking ECU's, remapping etc. Would this be needed as well, or would the new lock and key sort it?

Thanks so much for your help.

·
Premium Member
20,098 Posts
Ah,I see....the fob button is broken.You might be able to have it repaired,has the remote ever worked?.

If you do get another lock and key for the passenger lock then there will be no immobiliser issues.If having two keys is an issue,then you could source a key,a door lock and an ignition switch as a set from another car and then just swap the key blade into your existing broken fob,this will again mean that you will have no issues with the immobiliser.

If you would like to get a quote on repairing the key/fob you have then contact these.....

http://keyrepair.co.uk/keys.html

.....many have used them on the forum (including myself) and they are excellent.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you so much for your help - it really is very much appreciated:d

I'm not sure if the key still works or not, so might be best just to replace the lock and get another key anyway just to be on the safe side - I don't mind having 2 keys at all, really doesn't bother me, but being able to lock the car does!

Now to try to track a new lock and key down.........

I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks so much again for your help

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.