Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I had to remove the intercooler pipe last week and now I can't get it back on, there appears to be a knuckle on both the solid plastic pipe and the metal intercooler pipe, these knuckles DO slip over one another but I can't get the plastic pipe to go any further on.
There's no room from above to get your hands down there and there's limited room from underneath.

Can anyone please help?
It's an Espace iv, 2003, 2.0T F4RT

Thanks

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
24,218 Posts
Keep it in the sitting room as an ornament >:)

More seriously.
Go for the difficult one first.
Use the length of the pipe to rock it while a helper (if possible) puts some pressure on to push it home.
Can help dipping end into hot water (boil a saucepan) and a dash of washing up liquid...softens and lubes.

·
Registered
96 Posts
It's no help but you've just discovered for yourself the basic mantra of car manufacture these days. They're made to be easy to throw together on a production track. Repairing them afterwards? Not my department, mate!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can help dipping end into hot water (boil a saucepan) and a dash of washing up liquid...softens and lubes.
The hot water trick worked a treat, many thanks.

I would advise anyone doing this job to keep the jubilee clip on whilst you put it in the water and on the car, as you can't get the clip on once it's fitted.
Typical renault design, I ended up needing a wooden broom handle and a piece of string tied to a spanner in order to complete the job(refitting the alternator.)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts