Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys as the title says, wifes espace has grown a new problem recently and I am baffled as to what it can be. The car seems to grind and makes a large noise in 1st and 2nd and then clears up in rest of gears. It goes in and out of the gears fine, can this be clutch related - help

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Hi sounds very like the clutch, you would tend to lose low gears first.I believe there is a clutch fluid reserver in or under the dash that can sometimes be refilled or replaced.Put a search in under Espace clutch or Espace hydraulic clutch cable i hope this helps all the best Donald

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Donald, I will search the forum as recommended. Ive got the day off work tmrw so will take it around to a couple of garages for their opinions as its the wifes car and there will be no peace in the house until her cars fixed...

·
Registered
87 Posts
I would check the oil level first if i was you.

well dont think the espace uses the pk6 gearbox or not, but my laguna 1.9 dci 6 speed pk6 gearbox developed a grinding noise in mainly first gear but slightly in second too, the noise was alot worse when i acelerated a lot , also the gearstick would move about 2 inch when i accelerated , if this sounds similar to your problem them its what i had with mine, inside the gearbox are 3 shafts and they have a tappered bearing at each end, one of these bearing on my gearbox had collapsed and worn excessively, which in turn allowed the shaft to move about and one of the cogs was catching the side of the gearbox casing , i fitted a new bearing , cleaned all the inside out reassembed put back on car with new trp oil and all is well again, ive just had a window regulator play up but managed to free it off and lub it up seams happy again.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds very familiar, Im not mechanically minded (unfortunately) so will book it in tmrw at a local reputable garage and let them sort it. Thanks for the detailed response now all I hope is it doesnt cost too many pennies

·
Registered
87 Posts
Ive read a guy on here that got is gearbox taken out , refurbed and put back in for £800 , but on the other hand ive read renault will want £2300 for fitting a nice shiney new one, when i was looking for a replacement laguna dci pk6 the going price from a scrape yard was about £550 +vat so not cheap.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the pricing info - Ive got some quotes yesterday and Ive got the car booked in with a reputable local transmission centre, gonna cost £500 for them to recon mine so thats not too bad, also asked them to look to make sure clutch is ok as since everything is out makes more sense to get clutch changed ... fingers crossed nothing else crops up as apart from the gearbox car drives fine

·
Registered
87 Posts
yes £500 sounds a bargain, i fitted a new clutch and release bearing to mine just has course, mine had done 42k and was only about 40 to 50% worn but while its apart i changed it, i got the original spec clutch but thought a friend for £165 which included the release bearing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the tip mate, I'll bear that in mind - I agree as everythings out might aswell get the clutch sorted, checked history and it hasnt been changed yet so its due... lets hope the cost doesnt build up and up

·
Registered
2 Posts
gazfitter

hi.ive read your post on the bearing problem in the laguna 6 speed gearbox.im having the same whining noise when accelerating hard in first gear.i used to be in the motor trade as a hgv fitter up until about 12 months ago.could you tell me please how hard the gearbox is to remove and how hard the bearing is to change and cost of parts etc.the reason i ask is that it is a friends car and not my own so will be carrying out the work for free!!thanks mate

1 - 11 of 11 Posts