Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We sold our beloved Grand Espace to my brother-in-law who has managed to break it ("didn't they notice any problems at the service?", "what service?", <sigh>).

It's got a very heavy knocking form the top end of the engine, he's taken it to two workshops who have both told him "bottem end has gone, £2k for another engine", so he's brought it to me. I'm hoping its damaged lifters due to lack of servicing/poor oil quality.

I've dropped the oil and it's like water, the filter housing had small piles of brass/bronze grit (dead crank shells?). I can't hear any noise from the bottom of the engine (it might be there, but i can't hear it over the hammering at the top) and i've taken a video of the noise to get an opinion from people with experience of this engine, you lot :)

What does this sound like?

Is there any way of testing the lifters if i was to pull the mounting bars?

Thanks

(i found a few other threads mentioning engine noise but none of them had a vid i could check against)

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
21,967 Posts
Must admit the top end doesn't sound healthy... to me, from here, that is a cam, rev it up and sounds like a machine gun ?

But I don't like the comment on brass/gritty bits in filter.... that speaks of bottom end bearings or con rod bushes.
And there does seem a rumble ?????

Stick your phone underneath and another video, the mikes on phones are quite selective and you may hear better that way.
Else a stethoscope from a bit of tube or long screwdriver (blunt end in ear) can localise different noises.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll give the second video a try. I've stethoscoped the top and bottom of the engine and didn't pick up anything more than usual engine noise apart from the rear cam area at the top of the block, it's very clattery there.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts