Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
The saga with my Espace continues! (Espace IV)
I have recently rebuilt the engine as the old block was scored. Fitted a new block and set the engine up as per manual. Put the engine back in and plumbed it up.
When it finally started it sounds as though it's running on 3 cylinders and has absolutley no power and struggles to rev. It also smokes like Dot Cotton.
It has had a brand new turbo and a full set of recon injectors. The head was checked and two valves were replaced. As far as I can tell the engine should be great. Problem is it isn't.
I have checked the compression and I'm getting over 300 psi in each cylinder.
I've got nearly all day tomorrow to go over it so if anyone has any suggestions on what to look for I would be grateful.
TIA.

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
ok, are the injectors the one that came out or just recon of the shelf, ? if original did you put them in the same cylinders when returned, ? (because the injectors have codes wich need to be programed for each one)(Iknow this sounds condesending ) but have you got the injector wires on the right cylinders,

·
Premium Member
2,027 Posts
Injectors on this engine are not coded to ecu but are graded for flowrates you should fit 4 matching flow injectors if they came from a reputable company then i would expect they matched them

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep, all four injectors were the original ones off the car just refurbed. Diesel Jones carried out the work, hopefully they are reputable?

·
Premium Member
2,027 Posts
Was it smokey prior to rebuild and if so were all the pipes including intercooler cleaned out

Does it idle smooth or not idle at-all

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It was smokey before rebuild but I flushed it all out. It doesn't idle too well it will run for 20 - 30s then cut out.

·
Premium Member
2,027 Posts
Sounds like possibly low fuel pressure or the belt a tooth out but you sound as if you know what you were doing with the belt !

Are the timing gears all set up correctly as they are easy to get wrong and it would appear the timing belt is correct but its not !!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think so, I got the pin located in the cut out in the crank and the two cams were locked with the special tools. I'm pretty sure I got the high pressure pump timing sprocket in the right place too. Unless there is something I have missed.

·
Premium Member
2,027 Posts
Sounds like you have done everything right

Problem is with the crank locked and the cams locked the HP pump timing mark correct everything should he ok

Only thing i can suggest is check it all again it does sound timing related

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've just been out this morning and it starts ok but cuts out after about 30s. I have noticed the regulator on the high pressure pump is buzzing quite loudly, could this be the issue?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well,

oh dear.

I know there is a Topic of the week award, but is there a T*t of the week award? If so I think I've got it in the bag. Turns out the problem was the stop flap on the throttle body was closing off the air supply to the engine because some (ahem) person had put the pipes back on the wrong way round on the solenoid that feeds it. It now idles and revs fine. I've still got smoke but I'm putting that down to crap in the exhaust (fingers crossed!)

Thanks to all that replied.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts