Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Has anyone tried and successfully swapped out the cartridge for turbo on a 2.2 dci?
Whilst stripping down the derv espace today, I noted that the inlet manifold had traces of engine oil there. I then took a look at the egr valve and noted that it looked like thick with a combination of soot and oil.
I am guessing that the turbo oil seal have worn and the untimely death of this motor was the drinking of its own lubrication.
Looking at the sludge build up on the under side of the rocker box, I can only guess that the engine had been poorly maintained! :(

So, yes there is a point to my blabbering...
If I drop the turbo off tomorrow and it looks like the oils seals have been weeping, it will need replacing. I can get a cartridge on ebay for £150 or a repair kit for the cartridge for £30, the latter seems not beyond my ability but beyond my facilities!

Advice or views on either solution would be appreciated

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Once the moving parts of a turbo have been disturbed it needs to be aerodynamically balanced otherwise there is a risk of it shaking it self to destruction.

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Once the moving parts of a turbo have been disturbed it needs to be aerodynamically balanced otherwise there is a risk of it shaking it self to destruction.
So the repair kit is out of the question then... :)

What are your thoughts of the cartridge replacement?

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
I have to admit I have no experience of the repalacement cartridge type repair. A local company to me will recon most turbos for around £150 with a one year guarantee so a cartridge with no warranty is a no brainer for me.

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The new cartdridge is said to come with a 12 month warranty, but if getting someone to refurb it for the same money then as you say, it's a no brainer :)

Any chance of a contact for that "local company" please :)

·
Premium Member
2,027 Posts
I have replaced cartridges building turbos from 1 car to fit another and as long as you are carefull it is easy enough and will not affect balance

BUT i would get the engine running first before spending on it as if it has run on its own oil you could have an expensive rebuild on your hands

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know it isn't a definate science, but I have run it up on esaystart and there is no nasty knocking.
Will these engines (G9T) run up without the turbo connected? I don't intend driving it this way, but taking on board what you say about a serious rebuild and having already just spent £250 on a new set of injectors plus a couple of more quid on gaskets etc, if there is serious problems I could do with prioritising the cash flow!!

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My head seems to be wedge somewhere not very productive today.....

When these dci engine drink their own oil, what problems can this cause?
The turbo has definitely been leaking oil, there are obvious signs of it in the inlet manifold, throttle body/egr assembly, pipe from intercooler.
Is it worth checking the compression at this stage?

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
When they ingest enough of their own oil or the oil pressure drops due to the leaking seals - the complete engine suffers - mainly the crankshaft, camshshafts and the pistons.

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was too busy thinking about what would have happened to the engine as is was running on engine oil to think about the consequences of not running with any oil.
Sometimes a quick slap around the back of the head works for me...... :)

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Even if the engine doesn't eat all its own engine oil the tuurbo seals may be leaking pressure leaving the rest of the ngine starved.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts