Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

My series II 2.2dCi engine has developed a critical fault at 71k miles - a piston has failed. Has anyone had a similar experience?

Many thanks for any info.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Further to my cry for help, I have today been told that the piston has a hole burned in the side of ot near the top!! Has anyone had a similar experience and can anyone throw some light onto why it might have happened? The repair cost will be the best part of £3K. I would like to know why before I spend such a huge amount.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not entirely sure yet. The car is over 3 years old and done 72K - though Renault are investigating to see if they can help. I have figers and everything else crossed!!!

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Well I hope you do get some assistance from renault, because a fault of this nature after only 3 years is disgraceful; to be honest, any catastrophic failure of engine components before 5 years minimum should be warranty covered regardless, then perhaps they'll stop making their engine parts out of play-doh and swiss cheese. :( If a Morris Minor ever failed in this way it would have been at least 30yrs old when it happened - this is pure conjecture btw, I haven't the foggiest idea what I'm talking about. :)

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
has it had a cam belt changed? maybe the timing was out slightly?

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Holy Pistons batman

HI Suckingdiesel - sounds real serious - have you had the car since new and has it ever been chipped. Is the hole in the in piston on the crown (top) or the skirt. Is it a break out or has it been burnt. Burn holes on the crown are usually the result of poor fuel injection (most commom cause is a dripping injector) or uneven combustion in the chamber.:) Good Luck which ever way it goes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts