Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

My 2.2DT Diesel1999 Grand Espace has taken to intermittently running on after swiching the ignition off.:mad:
It has been a bit reluctant to start too. Needing a fair cranking over to fire up.
Both problem seem related to the fuel being cut off somewhere on start and stop?
Anybody got any ideas?

Thanks in advance.:)

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
hi there this is being caused probably by the inlet flap sticking due to all the carbon build up, if you look at the front of the engine you will see the inlet manifold coming down it will go into a metal section to the right you will see a egr valve (big cylinder with multiplug at the end) this is held on by 3 10mm bolts! in the centre is a metal pipe which links up to the engine there are two 13mm bolts holding this at each end! to the left there is a diaphram unit with ia rubber pipe conected to it, there is an arm which connects to a arm coming out of the meta block( throttle body) when the engine is started and stopped the diaphram should move to allow air to pass or not if you command the engine to stop! you can test this easy by running the engine then move the arm to push the flap over to restrict air flow and cut the engine! itl probably need cleaning out this is a naty messy job! the egr valve metal pipe and duct pipe at bottom of throttle bdy will need to be removed! once ceaned and refitted start up but whatch out because you willfind great big plums of soot expealed from the exhaust it makes a right mess!
hope this is of some help

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hi there this is being caused probably by the inlet flap sticking due to all the carbon build up, if you look at the front of the engine you will see the inlet manifold coming down it will go into a metal section to the right you will see a egr valve (big cylinder with multiplug at the end) this is held on by 3 10mm bolts! in the centre is a metal pipe which links up to the engine there are two 13mm bolts holding this at each end! to the left there is a diaphram unit with ia rubber pipe conected to it, there is an arm which connects to a arm coming out of the meta block( throttle body) when the engine is started and stopped the diaphram should move to allow air to pass or not if you command the engine to stop! you can test this easy by running the engine then move the arm to push the flap over to restrict air flow and cut the engine! itl probably need cleaning out this is a naty messy job! the egr valve metal pipe and duct pipe at bottom of throttle bdy will need to be removed! once ceaned and refitted start up but whatch out because you willfind great big plums of soot expealed from the exhaust it makes a right mess!
hope this is of some help
Hi Thanks for the reply.
So if it's not electrical as Mad suggests. Would a high rev blast possible clear the crap out of the valve and save a dismantling job?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tried this anyway in loo of a reply. It made no difference. When the engine is fully warmed up the problem goes away. Seems to be only on short journeys from a cold start that this happens?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi,
Sounds to me like the solenoid valve in the back of the injector pump is getting erratic. It shuts off the diesel to stop the engine when the ignition is turned off. Not sure if you can remove it and check it, but it should go in and out with the ignition being switched off and on.
Hunrscraft.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi,
Sounds to me like the solenoid valve in the back of the injector pump is getting erratic. It shuts off the diesel to stop the engine when the ignition is turned off. Not sure if you can remove it and check it, but it should go in and out with the ignition being switched off and on.
Hunrscraft.
Hi that was my thought on the problem. I would check it out if I could find the valve? Problem though the fault has disappeared and the motor seems to be fine again. Although on a low tank it seems to need more cranking to start the engine. Very odd!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Finally resolved this problem. Air bubbles in the line from the tank were causing erratic starting and stopping. Bleeding the system worked but did not fully cure the problem. Air kept coming into the fuel pipes.
Took the car for a checkover to the garage that services my Espace and they could not find what was causing the intermittent problem.The car was showing none of the original problem for a good while and was running fine and we went on holiday to France.
Heading back from the Alps the car ground to a halt one day on an autoroute in mid France. No fuel showing in the lines to the injector pump. This despite a full tank.
SOS call via the RAC got the car to a local Renualt dealer on the back of a pickup truck. Fault was traced to a tiny crack in a right angled white plastic main fuel line connector that exiting friom the top of the tank, sucking in air occasionaly as it flexed with vibration. Tank had to be removed to get at the faulty part which was part of the fuel level sensor unit.
Garage knew thier stuff and diagnosed it right away. They had to order the part direct from MATRA. This arrived next day and were and on the road again 24 hrs later.
Expensive? I was worried that it might be - but no need whole job was only £157.00. (I wonder if it would have been that price in the UK?)
I think the problem came to a head when we went over some speed bumps a bit heavily in a French town just as we went on to the Autoroute, fracturing the connection tube just a bit more. Strange one as there was definately no fuel escaping from the crack and showing any leakage signs under the car.
RAC service centre in Lyon were very good and arranged a hire car for the two days and we had a nice couple of days unscheduled exploration of Bar sur Seine in the champagne region.
Car has been running fine since.:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts