Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
If the crankshaft thrush washer has gone you will get excess play (or end float as it's sometimes called) in the crankshaft itself - if it's a manual car it usually can be heard when the clutch is operated in and out. Failed crank thrustwashers are quite rare - what makes you think it's the crank thrust anyway.:)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd read that the 2.2dt had a history of thrust washer problems
I suppose I'm just fishing in the dark really, as I said in another thread the engine died with a clanking sound, as it was'nt the normal big or little end type of sound I was mentally running through what else it could be,

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
The fact the engine has died and you can't listen to it running - doesn't help. It just a question of start to hunt for likely probs., Check the timing belt has broken as it is the most likely symptom nowadays and work your way down. How many miles are on the engine.:)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Timing belt ok, last changed at 120.000 kilometers car has now
155.000 km's (I'm in Spain) as said in a previous post, clacking
noise rose an fell with rpm's but completly dissapeared on overrun, If I had a workshop manual I'd probably tackle it myself, but as far as I can see no one has published a manual for the grand espace 2.2dt

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Hi zep is the noise there when the engine is revved and the vehicle is stationary or does it only happen when driving. Is the car manual or automatic transmission.:)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well today same as last friday the mechanic could'nt start the car so he took the camshaft cover off, tomorrow I'll post photos of the camshaft.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts