Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have recently bought a 2000 (W) Megane Coupe 1.6. I love the car to bits and the performance while driving is excellent. The problem is when the car is idle, the revs are about 750 which causes the car the jump about a bit. Also when parking for example the revs drop and the power steering stops working.

Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Hi iam sure someone will help soon it should be sitting at about 800rpm when hot and about 1100rpm when cold .cheers
Donald

·
Registered
22 Posts
My 2002 1.6 16v only idles at 750 rpm when it is hot, which means that it has a far from smooth tick over (though some times it is worse than others !). It has always been like it and the dealer tells me that it is normal.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
do you have any problems with the power steering as well when the revs are so low - ie when parking etc....?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same problem with 2004 Dynamique

:confused: I have just bought a Megane and also find that when it is idling it also seems to jump about a bit, making the car rock a little.

Was thinking of taking to the dealer whilst its still under warranty.

Wonder if its covered?:confused:

·
Registered
45 Posts
What part controls the idle speed. My 1.6 Scenic does the opposite - idles when warm at 1200 and sometimes races higher

Cormac

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
ECU controls the idle speed and there is no way to adjust that. It does however rely on the idle control sensor when idiling for its info. If this is dirty or on its way out the idle may be irratic.
My megane idles spot on at 750rpm when warm which is correct by haynes and autodata. I do have a slightly lumpy idle though which i just put down to the ICV or the cars age.

You can clean the ICV but some have tried this and finished it off which means a trip to renault and £150 ish for a new one.

·
Registered
45 Posts
So where is the idle control sensor in relation to the idle control valve or what does the idle control sensor look like ?

Cormac

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
The Idle Air Control Valve is located in the throttle body some where.It depends on engine type as they are sometimes built into the body it's self,other times they are seperate and can be removed and cleaned.

The IAC valve only does as the ECU tells it to,and any idle problems are caused by either the valve sticking due to dirt,or a problem elsewhere in the system with the ECU getting the wrong info.

My Lag 1 ph 2 1.8 16v ticks over at around 750-800,so I don't think that the idle speed is causing the problem.I suspect that there is a fault elsewhere and this is the culprit.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have cleaned up the IAC Valve and replaced the tube to the MAP Sensor. The idling to 3000 revs and so on seems to have stopped. It now idles at 750-800 or else 1200-1250ish.

Therefore I must still have a small gremlin somewhere. For the sake of the few quid, i'd be happy to replace the Idle Speed Sensor (assuming it is just a few quid !!!)

Maybe I just need to clean it. I have a 1.6 97 Scenic (8 valve I think). Where would this sensor be ?

Cormac

·
Registered
45 Posts
I still haven't a clue where the idle speed sensor is on my 1.6 97 Scenic - can someone please tell me where to look for it

I should also ask, can a coil affect the idle speed - if a coil was at fault would an engine just run rough ?

Cormac

1 - 11 of 11 Posts