Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The brakes on my Scenic are binding slightly on the rear.

They are only doing it slightly. You can spin the wheel with the car on the jack and the handbrake off but they dont spin as freely as the fronts do.

Can anyone please advise as to the best thing to do to free them off?

Is it a case of stripping the rear brakes down and cleaning them up a bit? Are there any special tools or tips i need to be aware of or is it fairly straightforward.

Any advice would be much appreciated as we are doing a long distance drive in a couple of weeks and i would love to get it sorted out before then.

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
hi m8 is it disks or shoes on the rear?

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
you usually find its the inner rear pad thats sticking,and wears quicker than the outer pad:crazy: so check this. also, check rear slides to see if they are nice and free, inspect the leavers which the handbrake cable conects to and make sure the lever is all the way back to its stop with the handbrake off(if not this will cause binding as the hand brake will be slightly engaged) the other thing to check is the caliper itself, check to see if the pistons wind back freely(there is a tool for this but you can youse a set of mould grips) you have to turn the piston clockwise and aplly inwards presure at the same time, make sure you remove the brake fluid cap first to allow excess fluid to escape and do not try and push the pistons in as you will nacker the calipier lol been done before:crazy:
also check the disk for scores and pits ect
once all of the above has been checked clean all components and copper slip the pads and refit:)

hope this will help you m8 and good luck and let us know how you get on:) alex

1 - 5 of 5 Posts