Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there folks, just looking for some simple advice here.

Has anyone used 100w bulbs before with this car before i install these and damage the wiring/switches.

Any advice appreciated!

Adam

·
Banned
30,789 Posts
Hi Adam, I'm no expert but it would appear from each bulb you will be subjecting the wiring / switching to an increased load of almost 82% which IMO is one hell of an ask.

Lol although if you've already got them, & I was in your shoes at 19 I'd have risked it :d & knowing me paid the price. :crazy:

P

·
0 Posts
Never used them in a Renault, but I have had them in a few other cars and the odd bike, and never had any issue.

Not strictly legal tho ;)

Your fuse will go well before the wiring
It's a pretty easy mod with a stand alone relay and a feed direct from the battery if you run into any issues, but I doubt that you will

Now, the plastic lenses :think:

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
I have came across numerous cars over the years which have had serious problems using off-road 100 watt bulbs. Burnt out switches, burnt out bulb holders and burnt wiring, burnt out fuse boxes, etc, etc. Now if a wee fire starts your insurers may well smell a rat.
On most modern cars the wiring fitted is just about capable of carrying its prescibed loads without any additional ampage being applied. Also on many later models the lighting is controlled via an UCH so there are added risks.

Oh don't you just love the smell of toasted silicon.:d

Also not only are they strictly illegal but a danger to other road users.

R

·
0 Posts
It won't be the 1st Scenic to have gone up in smoke because of eletrical problems. :d

·
Tourerman
4,838 Posts
I had 130 watt main beam and 90 watt dipped beam bulbs in an astra I had, they lit up the road brilliantly but after eighteen months they also lit up the headlamp dip switch !:mad:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts