Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mates 2000 scenic has a misfire, car shakes on idle and apparently looses power going up hills etcSomeone said it was burnt valve but dont know why as they havent looked at it.
Anyway I gad quick look at it and if I disconnect ANY of the coils the engine cuts out cmpletely straight away.
Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
24,215 Posts
Disconnecting spark plugs isn't always a good test. Disconnecting each injector in turn is a better method.

If it is a burnt valve then a simple dry and wet compression test would reveal more.:)

·
Premium Member
24,215 Posts
Renault cylinders are always numbered from the flywheel end of the engine

If you disconnect an injector and there is no effect then the engine isn't firing on that cylinder. So it would appear cylinders number 2 and 4 ain't working.

Have you checked these cylinders are getting a spark or have you removed the spark plugs for inspection??:)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Renault cylinders are always numbered from the flywheel end of the engine

If you disconnect an injector and there is no effect then the engine isn't firing on that cylinder. So it would appear cylinders number 2 and 4 ain't working.

Have you checked these cylinders are getting a spark or have you removed the spark plugs for inspection??:)
changed plugs today as all 4 were burnt ie melted , not the electrode but the earth bit.
check the injectors with ohm meter and all same reading

·
Premium Member
24,215 Posts
It is very rare to come across melted plug tips.

Sounds like either the incorrect plugs are being used or the engine is running very lean. A leak in the inlet manifold would cause this problem and also poor ignition.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It is very rare to come across melted plug tips.

Sounds like either the incorrect plugs are being used or the engine is running very lean. A leak in the inlet manifold would cause this problem and also poor ignition.
re the plugs. I had a set of plugs from a 1.1. saxo that I hadnt fitted in the garage. Now according to eurocarparts these plugs are the same for a scenic 1.6 which I thought was a bit odd.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.