Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks!

Last week when I was about to overtake another vehicle on the way to work my Scenic lost power and developed a misfire. Having had this problem before I assumed it was the coils and ordered 4 new ones at work. I made the journey home (12 miles) on 3 cylinders at about 40 MPH. The coils and a new set of plugs (Bosch super 4's) arrived and were fitted, gave her a test drive and all seemed well. On pulling up on the drive I heard a rattling coming from under her, this could only be heard when the engine was out of gear and dropping down from 5500 revs to idle. I assumed a bolt or tool had been mis placed ot a loose heat shield so I put her on my ramps and got my good lady to rev the motor. It would appear that my cat is rattling badly and this has only happened scinse the coil problem. I can only assume that the lazy cylinder's unburnt fuel has 'dissolved' it. The car can be driven (but i'm not) but it still feels like it's lacking power and judders at low speed, felling similar to a misfire (but it's not). So in essence what I'm asking is 2 things, 1. Would a failed Cat cause a lack of power due to no back-pressure and 2. What Cat would I need to buy as there seems to be 2 types for the 1.4i 16V.

Many thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Hello & Welcome to the Forums.

I'm sure someone with more tech knowledge than myself will be along to respond to your post .

Regards

Ottoman

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
Yes that could certainly be the poor running problem and yes due to the unburnt fuel from the misfire destroying the monolyth.. And more than likely blocking the exhaust and therefore the lack of power..

As for which cat then it depends on the model year and engine code/engine number.. So wherever you buy the cat from should be able to identify the correct one..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes that could certainly be the poor running problem and yes due to the unburnt fuel from the misfire destroying the monolyth..

As for which cat then it depends on the model year and engine code/engine number.. So wherever you buy the cat from should be able to identify the correct one..
Thanks for the reply. Can the engine code etc be checked by myself as I was intending buying online and getting my mate to fit it (time served mechanic) or do you think it could be bought just as cheaply from a 'normal' source.

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
Tell me the 1st 8 characters of the VIN number and I will tell the engine type..

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
Its a K4J 750

Reactions: chris m

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Had a look online and some sites are asking about OBD and Non-OBD (On Board Diagnostics) Can't see why this would make a difference but how do I find out If my Motor is or not?

Ta in advance.

·
Premium Member
764 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Superb webcode could u maybe help another Jock? I have a 1.6 laguana alize W reg.I think my Cat is away but dont know if i need a whole system or just the Cat.Friend says i need whole thing but phoned about and some are insisting i can just get a new Cat.Cheers

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
You should get away with just fitting the CAT. Depending of course on the condition of the rest of the system..

If it is an OE system then the old cat can just be cut out of the circuit and the new one clamped in..
The OE systems have indends marked on them to aid cutting the pipe in the correct place.. These consist of two punch marks and the sytem is cut in the middle of those..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well the rumbly running was a faulty coil - despite me fitting 4 brand new ones! Just goes to show that new parts can not always cure a problem! LOL

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Its a K4J 750

Let us in on the secret,Webcode!.How can you tell from the chassis number?.

I work on a lot of Peugeots,and they have the engine code as part of the chassis number which makes things very straight foward.....if only every manufacturer did the same.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
10 Posts
not long had the same problem with my espace but i was lucky and my mate the mechanic changed the cat before the coils so it saved me a fortune.i bought mine on line and saved £90 got mine from on line auto motive ,gives you a picture so you should be able to tell which one is for your model

1 - 18 of 18 Posts