Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have a 2000 Scenic manual which drives fine. I have noticed that when I have the steering on full lock I get a single 'knock' through the steering just as I start to straighten the wheels back up. It does this in both forward and reverse and only happens when going from full lock.
Any ideas what it could be and probable costs?
thanks.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Hi Flinty - do get the knock when stationery or only when the vehicle is moving - could either be a faulty CV joint or a duff universal joint in the steering column - have a look underneath behind the front wheels and see if you can see any signs of leaking grease.:)

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Sounds like a worn CV joint - but take the car to an empty car park and drive it around in tight circles and get somone to stand close by (if you can get someone brave enough that is) and see if they can hear if the sound is more pronounced on one side - that might help nail it down.:)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
when you drive round in circles there is no noise.. it's just as you turn the steering wheel back from full lock that you get the single noise and can feel it through the steering wheel. It's almost as if the steering has to free it's self from a point at the extreme end of it's movement on each side.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts