Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Recently started having a problem with my car, the exhaust gas light started to come on (intermittently) whilst driving and then the engine cut out. I took it to a workshop where they put it on the diagnostic computer. It reported an O2 sensor fault, they reset it and the fault didn't come back on for a bit more than a month. A few days ago the problem came back and so I bought a new O2 sensor and let a shop install it for me. Engine still came on but on my way to another shop, with the engine cutting out every now and then, the light stopped coming on and car drove even better than it did before. Had the workshop run another diagnostic on it anyway, but no O2 sensor fault. This time it got an EGR fault code, but the guy told me that the engine wouldn't cut out because of that.

So I was thinking could this be an catalyst problem or is it the EGR?

The old O2 sensor was busted - idiots stripped the thread on it and welded it back. It was also full of black powder, meaning it ran too rich? It smelled that way but the smell is gone now.

At my wits end with this car. Could've replaced all the other bits that are worn (Discs, shocks, bearings) but now I have to pay for this. Parts are hard to come by in South Africa.

Any help?

Regards,
Michiel Bester

Specs: 2001 Renault Megane Coupe 2.0 IDE (F5R-740) 170 000KM on the ODO

·
Premium Member
24,215 Posts
The IDE engine is no longer manufactured so spares can be hard to come by no matter what country you live in.

Also the IDE engine has a long history of failing fuel regulators, etc, - over pressurising being one of the main faults.

Not all code readers are Renualt compatible as Renault use a different protocol in their ECU software so in fact the codes you are getting may be totally erroneous.

All I can suggest is that you try and find someone who has Renault compatible diagnostic equipment.:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll be taking it to a renault dealer soon, will keep you update on it. Just found out that a friend's new Megane has issues with her cars onboard computer. Lucky her's is still under warranty.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Took it in yesterday to a Renault service centre, did a quick diagnostic on it. EGR warning came on, they unplugged it and the car didn't die anymore.

Butttt they want ZAR 4600 for a new valve (about 418 UK pounds), so I declined. Looking for a cheaper part but can't find any so far, only for the diesel engines.

Trying to clean the valve to see if it works, just need a better #13 spanner to get the last bolt off.

Hopefully it works then, I'd rather fix a few other things first.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.