Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I'm a new member so firstly can I say hello to everyone; I would be very grateful for any advice on the following:

I have a 2001 Renault Scenic which has developed a grinding noise when I turn the wheel right. It's booked into the garage in 2.5 weeks but I am a little concerned about repair costs (as we have only recently had a rather large one!).

It seems that when I turn the wheel to the right (only) there is a loud grinding noise that stops when the wheel is straightened again. Stuck in traffic the other day I tested it to see if I could replicate it and, I can't be sure as there could have been a slight turn on the wheel, but there was an inconsistent grinding noise if I coasted in neutral.
Would be very grateful for any advice on what you think it might be.

Thank you.

D

·
0 Posts
First thought is wheel bearing. Jack up the wheel, and give it a tug top and bottom, then side to side and see if there is any play in it.
If not, then it's probably a cv joint on it's way out, although they usually clonk rather than grind

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
What was the last 'large bill' on the car for?.Was it related to the noise appearing at all?.

I must admit,I wouldn't wait 2 and a half weeks to have it looked at.......

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi, thanks for the replies.

No, not related to the noise. The car broke down and we had a problem with the cam belt (we are currently trying to deal with the previous garage that serviced the car as, as far as we're concerned, it was a problem that should never have happened if the service/replacement had been carried out properly).
I cannot get into our usual garage before the first week in May hence the delay but I do not intend to use the car (much if at all) in the meantime.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Final question: if it is the wheel bearings does anyone have a ballpark figure as to what it might be a reasonable cost to repair/replace (it would have to go into a garage)?
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
It took 18 months a new C.V, joint and 3 garages before my grinding noise ...which eventually started banging too! wad tracked down ...it was the exhaust front pipe lost a bracket!
Make sure that is looked at before you start on the expensive stuff.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Redren (and everyone else); car's gone in today so fingers crossed (that they give me back a completely new car by mistake).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts