Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right chaps, I hope you can help with this problem....

Bought a towbar from a guy which is made by A1 Towing of Sheffield, and is an RT823 made for a 1997 to Sep 2003 Scenic, excluding the RX4. ( It came off his Mothers car.) My car is a 2001 Alize so it fits within the model period.

Got it onto the car, but it would seem that it sits too low, and also seems to lean back from the bumper. Used a printout of instructions from their site to fit it, so I'm confident that it is fitted as described. I suppose the only way around it is to replace the towball with a swan neck variant to lift it up, but don't really want to do that

Also, is there a pre drilled hole at the back for the electrics to pass into the cabin, or do I have to do one myself, and if so, where should it be?

If you want to see pics of the towbar as fitted at the moment, then I have some on my phone that i took after fitting it and can post them on here.

R

·
0 Posts
It's some time since I fitted a towbar to my 2001 Scenic I didn't drill any holes to get the wiring through IIRC I found a hole into the channel behind the bumper and then took the wires up either side into the car below the light units.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right. Towbar now sited properly on the bodywork.

After some considerable thought, the 2 right angle brackets that hold the rearmost part of the towbar to the bodywork, just behind the bumper, were 180 degrees out, hence the reason for it sitting low. Turned them around, offered up the towbar and voila, one correctly mounted piece of hardware.

Just got to do the electrics this weekend if it stays dry.

L

·
0 Posts
You can get a genuine wiring kit from Renault that just plugs into the back of the lights, I have one on my Lag, as well as a genuine Remault QR Towbar.

I also have a spare loom set if you are interested?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Had most of the rear of the car apart today, but I can't find a route for the wiring to the towbar without having to drill. I was hoping to avoid getting the Black and Decker out.

Anyone had any success in routing theirs without drilling?

R

·
0 Posts
It's some time since I fitted a towbar to my 2001 Scenic I didn't drill any holes to get the wiring through IIRC I found a hole into the channel behind the bumper and then took the wires up either side into the car below the light units.
There is a small rubber flap behind the bumper feed the wires into the channel and then you can take them either side of the car then up to the lights

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I remember feeling that, but it looked like it still wouldn't go once through there it seemed that it went into a box section which had no route to either lights. I'll recheck though.

It nearly got to the point where I was going to take the bumper off to get a better view, but decided against it.

R

·
0 Posts
It's easier wih the bumper off. There are flaps on either the rear of the wheel arches which will give you access into the channel IIRC there are then holes from the channel up into the up into the boot below either light unit.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Top man. :d

I'll look into that next weekend, and report back.

One bit of good news regarding my Scenic. Yesterday on a certain auction site, I won an autochanger, underseat cabinet and lead all for £32 plus postage so that'll keep me busy as well.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Certainly been a productive 2 days......

Got the autochanger in last night, and today got the towbar wired up at last using the route described in the picture above. However what I did was to cut slightly the plastic shroud on the boot catch at both ends, and split the wires to go to both sides, and then encased them in my own little wiring harness using self amalgamating tape. The wires are now buried beneath the plastic panel along the boot edge.

Haven't been able to test the electrics yet, as I don't have anything towable to use, but will have access to something at my hobby hq next week.

And in case people are wondering why I've fitted a towbar when I don't personally own anything towable, it's to use when we at our hobby hq go away, as we have 3 things that need towing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts