Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long time since I was in here (been a while since I had a Renault!!)

First is very simple - yes or no, as I think I may have been previously conned by my garage (having looked at videos for something else) - is it possible to replace the rocker cover gasket without removing the inlet manifold?? I feel I know the answer, but wanted to check.

Second, recently some work done which involved the removal of said inlet manifold, since then, it has developed an oil leak, which appears to be spraying onto the underside of the bonnet, just above injector 3 and 4. Prior to me stripping it down (with the aid of a manual and a friend) is there any obvious pipes that may still be disconnected which would cause this. I have looked, and cant see anything, but that's not to say its pushed under the manifold housing.

Many thanks in advance!
Pete

·
Sexy at 71 super mod..
27,246 Posts
Long time since I was in here (been a while since I had a Renault!!)

First is very simple - yes or no, as I think I may have been previously conned by my garage (having looked at videos for something else) - is it possible to replace the rocker cover gasket without removing the inlet manifold?? I feel I know the answer, but wanted to check.

Second, recently some work done which involved the removal of said inlet manifold, since then, it has developed an oil leak, which appears to be spraying onto the underside of the bonnet, just above injector 3 and 4. Prior to me stripping it down (with the aid of a manual and a friend) is there any obvious pipes that may still be disconnected which would cause this. I have looked, and cant see anything, but that's not to say its pushed under the manifold housing.

Many thanks in advance!
Pete
2002 tells me that its a clio Mk 2 but still does not tell me which engine type is fitted in yours..despite that though whether its a 712 or 722 they both require the inlet mani to be removed if the rocker box gasket is to be replaced..on the rocker cover the are 4 holes that fit over the plug tubes..they have seals on these holes to keep it all oil tight..could be that some of them have given up and are now leaking..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2002 tells me that its a clio Mk 2 but still does not tell me which engine type is fitted in yours..despite that though whether its a 712 or 722 they both require the inlet mani to be removed if the rocker box gasket is to be replaced..on the rocker cover the are 4 holes that fit over the plug tubes..they have seals on these holes to keep it all oil tight..could be that some of them have given up and are now leaking..
I couldnt tell you if 712 or 722 - only above, 1.2 petrol 16V D4F - with air box attached to engine block. And Yes, Its MK2 (75HP, 55KW) - no idea if this last part helps!

I thought as much - means my so called garage ripped me off - they apparently replaced it without removing anything.
Are the seals a big job? Obviously I know they inlet has got to come off - but other than that …. or is it just one of those PITA fiddly jobs to get the seals seated. Are the seals on the manifold or the engine block?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Apologies - I just read that again.
This oil leak / spray has only started to happen since the inlet was removed. The Rocker hasn't been touched. Issue this time was injector 3 replacement

·
Sexy at 71 super mod..
27,246 Posts
Ok lets have some pics of the D4F712..

Above pic is complete engine..

And lower is with inlet manifold removed..

Now in the lower pic you can see the 4 plug tubes where the spark plugs live..on the rocker box the 4 seals are pressed in it..just placed in and tapped home with a same size socket just like you would tap a bearing into place..these are known to leak and I suppose it's possible that they may have damaged some of them in the job they did..[removing the manifold ] also check that the dipstick has been correctly inserted all the way down into the dip stick tube and clipped into place on the side of the engine..pressure can push it up if its not clipped into place and oil will be forced up the tube and will make a right mess over the engine..as for the plug tube seals this is what your looking at..

Renault CLIO TWINGO KANGOO 1.2 16v Rocker Cover Spark Plug Seals 7701473164 X4 for sale online | eBay

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you.

That looks like my engine, though I haven't seen a clip for the dip stick - though it is a pretty tight fit and not noticed it up or loose. Oil also didn't seem to be in the right place? - Would have thought it would spray by injector 1 / 2 for that?

I'm assuming the plugs don't have to be removed prior to removing the manifold? - Obviously the coil pack leads will do.

Many thanks for the link too - much appreciated.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts