Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem with the speedometer in my 2002 clio 1.2 16v. it constantly reads at exactly 150%, ie: it reads 90mph when i'm doing 60mph etc. I have had this car for nearly 4 years and has always been like this. I believe that the speed is calculated from the abs sensors, the abs light on the dash as always been on also (its covered with black insolation tape for mot :d) so this may be some clue. I'm going to get a diagnostics kit to see if it can come up with any useful error codes. I have cannot find another case of this fault, if anyone can shed some light in this it would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ha ha, no its a simple enough calculation and i use the sat nav on long journeys. its just really anoying. especially as my mechanic hasn't got a clue

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Are you certain the spedo works via the ABS system - have anyone checked to see if there is a gearbox sensor?

If it works via the ABS system it usually calculates road speed via the left front wheel sensor - has it and its reluctor ring been checked.

Only top of the range code readers can usually access the ABS system for read outs.

Technically the car should not have passed its MOT.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks madnoel. I now know what's wrong. It turns out that it is an early 2002 and the left hub assembly was replaced with a later one that has the 44 tooth reluctor ring, it should be 26, explaining the high speed reading. Hopefully it will now be a simple swap, they're only £6 on ebay :)

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Well worked out,hopefully the reluctor ring replacement will sort out two problems for the price of one.:)

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

EDIT;Oh,and I'd sack your MOT tester too!.:d

·
HotShoe WANNABEE..
375 Posts

Speedo Pick-Up. Pull out/push in - simple swap. :cheers:

:loser:
knownClone

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Knownclone:

I'm not sure if mine has one of those, it appears that the speedo either works through the abs sensor or gearbox sensor. It was the first thing I looked for I and couldn't find one so I assumed that it must work with the abs sensor alone

·
HotShoe WANNABEE..
375 Posts
Knownclone:

I'm not sure if mine has one of those, it appears that the speedo either works through the abs sensor or gearbox sensor. It was the first thing I looked for I and couldn't find one so I assumed that it must work with the abs sensor alone
Fair enough, my SAVVY is a 'Clone' of 2005 Twingo and is just built with a 16V engine & box from a Packing Crate... direct off the Renault production line... shipped off to Malaysia. My car has this Speedo pickup... easy to spot.

Cheers :beer:

:loser:
knownClone

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Yeah I know, fooled by a piece of tape! I've got it through with worse problems though tbh
So much for the integrity of an MOT test then.

When buying a car and owner brags it has an MOT I put no store in it regarding either safety or reliability or how it was maintained.:)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got my 26 tooth reluctor ring today, popped it in easy enough. Problem solved! no more abs light and a reasonably accurate speedo :d

·
Registered
1 Posts
Clio speed sensor y reg

Can anyone help, I have a y reg clio and the mph only works when it wants to, I'm rubbish at locateing things but I don't fancy going to the mechanic. Where can I find this vehicle sensor?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts