Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Having read a number of articles on this excellent forum and come to the conclusion the speedo reading 150% more than it should was caused by the reluctor ring on the N/S drive shaft.

I checked the O/S one and it looks like a 26 tooth reluctor ring, the N/S was definately more probably 44.

I called in a mechanic to do the work and supply the part and the arrived with a drive shaft with a 26 tooth reluctor ring off a 2002 model clio.

After removing the old drive shaft they could not fit the new one as the spline was a different size (fatter).

After some calls to motorcraft they stated that the 44 tooth was right for the car but it still puzzles me that it would have different sizes on the two drive shafts.

My questions to the experts here are;

1. Is it conceivable that Renault put 26 on one side and 44 on the other for the reluctor rings?

2. Are there different fitting drive shafts available and was this a case of actually its the wrong one?

3. How can I find out if the 26 reluctor should be on the car (N/S) as Renault were next to useless when I called the dealer.

Many thanks if you made it this far and even more if you respond to the above.

Any help in sorting this problem out is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
12,945 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
I would think you're on the right track. More teeth=more pulses=more speed.
Both sides should match tooth numbers.
Euro car parts lists a few options for 2002 1.2 /1.4 engine.
21 spline joint with 26 tooth ring Girling braking system.
21 spline joint with 44 tooth ring Bendix braking system.
There is a 23 spline version for the 1.5 diesel which would presumably have a fatter spline but it lists both ring sizes on the same part number???

You may be able to just fit a new ring to your old driveshaft.
http://www.reluctorrings.com/cars/renault

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dave.

I am trying to go for that option of just the reluctor ring but to excuse the pun everyone I have asked to do it has been "reluctant".

I am looking to swap the part that does not fit for another and will check the plines (21/23) and see if that is a starter else I'll have to get a ring from ebay and see if I can find someone to do it.

thanks for the info on #of teeth per side being the same makes sense to me and continues to prove I am on the right track :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SOLVED: 2002 Clio - Speedo Reads At 150%

Managed to get the right NS drive shaft and now fitted (not by me) and this has cured the speedo issue and also fixed the ABS juddering (which was thinking you were going much faster than you really were).

All in all happy now and thanks to those that posted in this and on other theads that led me to this fix.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts