Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, new member here, I have a 2002 1.2 16v petrol, I parked the car up 2 days ago when it was totally fine, I've gone to drive it today, but it wont start, the car wont even turn over!, basically when I put the key in the ignition the battery light and stop light flicker with a clicking from what looks like the fuel pump relay in the engine bay, take the relay out and the flickering stop, cant work out why the fuel pump relay would stop the starter motor indicating. So far i have tried a new battery, checked the connections to the motor, and cleaned the earth strap to the battery. Immobiliser looks ok, and is a solid red light on the dash. I have ordered a new relay to try that, but does anyone have any ideas please

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
41,915 Posts
Battery is flat

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tried a new battery, still does it, immobiliser light is solid red, not sure if this is correct?, tried new fuel pump relay but has made no difference.

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
41,915 Posts
Ouch..

Has it got a few small relays in the fuse board area, think one is starter

FUEL pump relay wont stop the car from cranking ..

But flickering dash, is this when you go to turn the key to the start position or?

If turning to the start position, its pointing to a drain on the battery,

( Starter motor power supply )

Give the starter motor a few hits with a piece of wood, see if it will allow you to get it crank.
You could be unlucky and starter has died ,,

Not many give an indication now, one minute it's working, the next nothing

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have moved all of the 3 small relays to different positions, but to no avail, very strange problem, I cant understand why it seems to be affecting the fuel pump and the starter. When I turn to ignition 2 the engine stop and battery light literally chatter, the fuel pump also is noisey, eventually after about 30 secs it all stops flickering, but the batt light and stop light go out!, tried banging the starter, and I guess next test will be to put a jump pack on the motor, however I've also still got the immobiliser light which is a solid red!, and I cant remember if when the car was running normally if this light usually goes out

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
24,758 Posts
Usually immobiliser light goes from fast flash (waiting for key) to solid red (ID'd key and handshaking with ECU) to out.
When it goes out can vary so may be nowt to worry on.
I am more worried on the flickering lights at the moment.
Indicates not enough power so system is shutting down.
Just confirm so we are not at cross purposes, position 2 is when it should crank?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the reply, position 1 is when all the dash lights come on, and this is when the battery light and stop light flicker, and the fuel pump relay clicks in engine bay. When I turn to crank there is a further click from glovebox area.

·
24,758 Posts
Not forgotten you, just don't have an answer, just some guesses.

I am assuming that the flickering is happening due to low power.
Not battery cos you have changed it (I assume fully charged) but poor connection, earth, short circuit or cable somewhere.

It is happening when dashboard, therefore car systems, come live (position 1) but before it cranks.... so we can discount starter motor.

Fuel pump relay clicking makes sense if power is intermittent, it is likely to be clicking in time with the flickering.
The fuel pump normally operates when ignition on, couple of seconds to build pressure then switches off.

Any sign of water ingress?
Behind dashboard or in the underbonnet fuse box?
Negative terminal and all cables to it tight.
Find every earth terminal you can in or around engine bay and check them.
Positive terminals, same and also check the fuses on the terminal.... they don't look like fuses and will need to check for power both side of each, no visual indication of them being blown.

Red immobiliser light suggests handshake between UCH and ECU is not happening.
Which suggests poor connections or loom issues.
Any sign of chafed cables round the ECU (Clios suffered from this IIRC) or wet or corroded connectors?

·
Registered
112 Posts
sounds like it could well be the dreaded clio ecu anti tamper cage ( causes all sorts of problems when it wheres through the loom), is it definitely the fuel pump relay clicking as normally if the immobiliser is armed it generally prevents fuel and spark (i could be wrong)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Right found that the earth strap is well only attached by a few strands!, got a new one coming, I did attach a jump lead between it, all the electrics now behaving, though immobiliser still solid red, but the car now cranks for 5 seconds then stops, but will not start. Will try a new earth lead and see

·
24,758 Posts
Sounds positive and would account for the flickering and clicky relay.
Not happy about the red light and that may be another issue to face off to but one thing at a time.
It may be that the earth is not allowing handshakng to happen across all sensors so sort that.
I'd disconnect battery for half an hour (just needs negative off) to reset any corrupted settings though this will not eliminate any stored permanent errors.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Honestly this car is testing, put new earth strap on, now turns over constant, but wont fire. Immobiliser light has also gone off!, all I've done is take some fuses out, but I'm sure I cant have put them back in wrong!, getting closer hopefully

·
24,758 Posts
Excellent.
You've bin playing with the fuel relay... is that back in proper and can you hear the fuel pump come on when you turn key to on (before crank)...should hum for a second or two.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Happy to report all is now well, I had previously swapped all 3 black relays over, moved them back to original positions and fired up straight away, earth strap was the original issue though. Thanks for all your help. Was very close to just scrapping it!

·
24,758 Posts
Was very close to just scrapping it!
Not wanting to preach or come over all patronising but next time, think before you start ripping it all apart.
And do not be afraid to ask on here, we prefer to start with a clean slate of this is the issue rather then this was and I've changed.....
We see the latter too often and never quite know if we are chasing the original fault or something self inflicted.
Sermon over...sorry.

Anyroadup, well done for sticking with it and listening, you are not the first to be caught by poor earths and I'm damn sure you will not be the last.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts