Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello well here is a update on the prices for my 2002 2.0 16v timing belt kit.

I would rather buy the dearer timing belt kits and stay away from the cheaper is this the case or iam i throwing away my money on the dearer kits.:crazy:

I have tryed 15 places now and are all about the same.

Dearer £ 95+VAT to around £ 115+VAT

cheapest £ 74+VAT to around £ 81+VAT

The belt iam thinking of ordering is £ 99.00+17.5% VAT£ 120.00

Well what do you think please help me to decide thanks

Oh 2 dealers aswell no change from £150

Donald:)

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Hello well here is a update on the prices for my 2002 2.0 16v timing belt kit.

I would rather buy the dearer timing belt kits and stay away from the cheaper is this the case or iam i throwing away my money on the dearer kits.:crazy:

I have tryed 15 places now and are all about the same.

Dearer £ 95+VAT to around £ 115+VAT

cheapest £ 74+VAT to around £ 81+VAT

The belt iam thinking of ordering is £ 99.00+17.5% VAT£ 120.00

Well what do you think please help me to decide thanks

Oh 2 dealers aswell no change from £150

I think as well you have to take into account how long you are going to keep the vehicle Donald.

I take it that the parts are being supplied by local Distributors. I'm not sure what sort off service you would receive buying online, You would maybe find one part cheaper here another cheaper elsewhere but the combined postage totals would add quite a bit to your overall cast, Also the delay in all the parts arriving could be quite considerable.

Regards

Ottoman
:)

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think as well you have to take into account how long you are going to keep the vehicle Donald.

I take it that the parts are being supplied by local Distributors. I'm not sure what sort off service you would receive buying online, You would maybe find one part cheaper here another cheaper elsewhere but the combined postage totals would add quite a bit to your overall cast, Also the delay in all the parts arriving could be quite considerable.

Regards

Ottoman
:)
Well i will definitely have the car for another 3 years for sure and i think i have to also take into account that i also tow a caravan at 1400kg when ladened for 6 months of the year i think i will be going for the dearer of them all thanks.

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
A principle that I usually adopt is never to buy the very cheapest nor the most expensive, the best trade off between quality & value is usually the next one along the line (either up or down).

I would also be curious to compare the warranty aspects of the cambelt kit - do they have age & mileage limits? Do they cover DIY fitting? If the part fails (heaven forbid) does the warranty cover consequential damage as a result?

Don't just look at the price, there are (or could be) other factors to consider.

Good luck!

Paul:)

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A principle that I usually adopt is never to buy the very cheapest nor the most expensive, the best trade off between quality & value is usually the next one along the line (either up or down).

I would also be curious to compare the warranty aspects of the cambelt kit - do they have age & mileage limits? Do they cover DIY fitting? If the part fails (heaven forbid) does the warranty cover consequential damage as a result?

Don't just look at the price, there are (or could be) other factors to consider.

Good luck!

Hi Paul thank you for your comments iam sorry to say iam not at all in the position to have this belt changed other then doing it myself as you could imagine the prices that garages are looking to do this job are:crazy: i will now ask these places about what facts they now about these belts and then purchase one this week.Iam hoping to do the job sometime after the meet just before i start to tow with the caravan. As i said before the car has only done 34k but she is 5 years old this year and has full service to date but iam not in the position to pay someone to do the job or would i even think about giving the dealer the work or cash to do it. I have diy all my life unless iam beat but thats to often thanks again.

Donald

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts

Good luck!

Yes a good point Paul, Some Manufacturers would only refund the cost off the belt, but it would have to go for testing first others would refund the cost off the belt as a good will gesture but claim no liability, Meanwhile you would be left with an unusable vehicle, As vehicle Manufacturers do not guarantee the life off a belt fitted from new. I would go for the mid price belt, some belts carry different brand names but are made by one company as are many products today .

Regards

Ottoman

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi thanks to all :) but iam going to go for the £99.00+VAT = £120 belt kit from just round the corner on my door step. I buy all my stuff from him and have just been given a little discount if i buy all my required list from them i think its about £15 so not all bad cheers.

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Good stuff Donald, hope you get good weather on the day(s) that you are working on your car.

Let us know how you get on. A good tip is to compare what you are taking off the car with what you are putting on - just in case any fabrication is required (as can happen with pattern or updated parts).

All the best,

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good stuff Donald, hope you get good weather on the day(s) that you are working on your car.

Let us know how you get on. A good tip is to compare what you are taking off the car with what you are putting on - just in case any fabrication is required (as can happen with pattern or updated parts).

All the best,

Thanks Paul fingerXXXXXX:d

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Donald,
it would be nice if you took pictures etc and how long it takes any problems etc.:) :cool:
I will do that from starts to finish if iam not pulling my hair out ive got the help of a fiat mechanic for a few hours on the day and another friend how just had to do his 1.8 Lag 1 after tensioner breaking and i do not think that there was i valve left that was not bent:crazy: :d I should not laugh about things like that.

As i said i will try my best on the day or days:d

·
Still a Petrolhead but also like diesel
2,311 Posts
Hi Donald, I'm still gobsmacked at the price of the kits.:(

As to the quality .... I think you'll find little difference ... the price difference will be in the mark-up from the disti and the motor factor and if there is a warranty included etc.

The belts themself (power transmission .. timing, v-belts etc) will be made by one of only 4 or 5 manufacturers ... DAYCO (the largest and Renault OEM) or usually a subsidiary of Continental/Uniroyal, Gates Rubber or Pirelli and the quality of the belts will meet the same international standards.

The tensioners/jockey wheels will be similar and all items are likely to be bought-in by the sellers of the "kit" again quality standards exist. Most kit "manufacturers" dont manufacture anything, its just sourced and packaged in different coloured boxes .... probably by the same company, exception is maybe QH/Unipart.

Whats likely to go wrong is that due proceedure in fitting and use will not have been followed, the belts will not have been fitted properly and may get crimped, or stretched, adjusted too tight or too loose ... rule of thumb does not cut it any more ... OK for initial set up but you really need a harmonic guage or a SEEM meter ... when I changed the belt on my previous Espace (J7R) I was amazed how far out the tension was using the "thumb rule" (checked with a SEEM meter) .... I put it down to I've changed about 5-6 belts in 30 years ... guys in the trade may do that in a couple of months you get to know the "feel", it should still be checked.

This will all cause premature failure along with contaminates ... oil leak, road grit, overheating engine etc the belt guys call it torque chunking(teeth ripout and cord break.)
If the belt fails the manufacturer will want to see it, and I guarntee they will reject any claim where the belts tension has not been set properly.

IMHO Donald I'd worry more about the fitting than I would about getting "cheap" components.

Just my 2p's worth :)

Good luck, you'll need it ... on my engine (J7R) the radiator, aircon etc had to be removed/moved ...... and that was 10 times more difficult/stressful than the belt change. :)

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Donald, I'm still gobsmacked at the price of the kits.:(

As to the quality .... I think you'll find little difference ... the price difference will be in the mark-up from the disti and the motor factor and if there is a warranty included etc.

The belts themself (power transmission .. timing, v-belts etc) will be made by one of only 4 or 5 manufacturers ... DAYCO (the largest and Renault OEM) or usually a subsidiary of Continental/Uniroyal, Gates Rubber or Pirelli and the quality of the belts will meet the same international standards.

The tensioners/jockey wheels will be similar and all items are likely to be bought-in by the sellers of the "kit" again quality standards exist. Most kit "manufacturers" dont manufacture anything, its just sourced and packaged in different coloured boxes .... probably by the same company, exception is maybe QH/Unipart.

Whats likely to go wrong is that due proceedure in fitting and use will not have been followed, the belts will not have been fitted properly and may get crimped, or stretched, adjusted too tight or too loose ... rule of thumb does not cut it any more ... OK for initial set up but you really need a harmonic guage or a SEEM meter ... when I changed the belt on my previous Espace (J7R) I was amazed how far out the tension was using the "thumb rule" (checked with a SEEM meter) .... I put it down to I've changed about 5-6 belts in 30 years ... guys in the trade may do that in a couple of months you get to know the "feel", it should still be checked.

This will all cause premature failure along with contaminates ... oil leak, road grit, overheating engine etc the belt guys call it torque chunking(teeth ripout and cord break.)
If the belt fails the manufacturer will want to see it, and I guarntee they will reject any claim where the belts tension has not been set properly.

IMHO Donald I'd worry more about the fitting than I would about getting "cheap" components.

Just my 2p's worth :)

Good luck, you'll need it ... on my engine (J7R) the radiator, aircon etc had to be removed/moved ...... and that was 10 times more difficult/stressful than the belt change. :)
Thank you for advice iam just of the phone with renault service department and on the 2002 2.0 16v nothing has to be removed or the engine does not even have to be dropped at all to do the job but what they did say was did i have the TDC locking kit if not i was going to stuggle and the kit is £50:crazy: thanks again.

Oh the cam caps that you have to take off to put the locking tool in to hold at TDC do they come with the kit because iam lead to beleive you can not use then again???

·
Still a Petrolhead but also like diesel
2,311 Posts
Sorry dont know Donald, my J7R engine was an OHC not a DOHC, so I didnt need the cam locks .... however I used an 18" flat balde screwdriver to lock the crank so it did not move when doing the work, this was an alternative to the TDC tool (there is a blanking plug/bolt on the LHS (J7R) yours may be different) of the engine which when removed and the engine is at TDC then putting the locking tool or a long screwdriver in the hole locks the crank at TDC).... might be worth checking as most of these engine are pretty old, its usually only the head design that changes the blocks stay the same, so the TDC crank lock may be on that engine as well .... cheaper than the Renault tool, and does the same job ... hoever you still need to lock the cam pulleys ... check the web for a Renaullt DOHC cam locking tool ... companies like Facom, Sykes and Pickavant etc do them.

Hope it helps :)

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you very much i would feel alot better if i had these locking tools i will have try to get them the fiat gay thats going to give me a few hours the day that i do it said i will do it with out them but then he has had year and years of doing cam belts he must just make something to suit do lock them in TDC.

Oh as i was asking you about them cam caps they are in the kit i phoned today so thats good i thought i was going to have to go to renault for them thanks again

Donald

1 - 15 of 15 Posts