Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2002 Laguna Privilege 2.0 16v

Hi All:) ,

My partner and I are seriously contemplating buying the above car. It's is really well looked after, only 34000 miles and it looks smashing!!
I was wondering if anyone could please help me to understand what kind of problems I could be facing with such car.. I have test driven it and it is as smooth as..
What worries me though is the keycard and the fact that the car seems pretty packed with electronic/computerised gadgets that could easily break such a sensors or central locking etc. Any well known problems that I should be aware of or else?
I would greatly appreciate any advise

Thxs
Makkina

·
Registered
49 Posts
Buying Laguna

Hi I know the other members are not going to like me for saying this but I would advise against buying the Laguna.I bought a 2001 Lag ,full Renault service with about 30000mls and to be truthful it has been nothing but trouble!There is a long list of well known faults with this car and everyone I speak to has the same problems.With my car I have had, rear suspension bushes replaced,front discs replaced,front coil springs broken,cat converter replaced(£600),electrical failure of locking system,complete dash failure(£350),xenon auto adjuster failure,various electrical gremlins,failure of reverse sensors!I have had the car for a while and although it has cost me a fortune I love the look of the car and the way it drives but I feel let down by the poor reliability of it!No doubt you will get many emails from members saying I was unlucky etc but I feel the reliability of the Laguna is very poor indeed.Have a look in this forum about the Laguna problems and choose carefully.All the best Mark P

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi, one thing you should be aware of is the cost of running these cars genuine parts are expensive as are costs at main dealerships just to give you an idea 72.000 sevice with timing belt change was quoted at £1100 from my main dealer a franchise dealer quoted less about £790 i think but I think you get the idea.

electronic bits'n'bobs are a worry go for a later model 03 onwards they seem to have ironed some of the more serious ones out but still problematic I own a 2.0 privilege on an 03 plate it is one of the most enjoyable cars I have driven superb on the M roads and gives a respectable 36-39 mpg

If you are buying to run this car to a budget then you should think again, if you just like the look of laguna's and the costs don't worry you go for it

·
Registered
20 Posts
Makkina. I expect it will be the same Engine as my 2002 Laguna 2.0 IDE.

I must admit there are a few known Issues with this car. Front Ball Joints. Rear Axle Bushes.

But let me tell you. This is my 3rd Renault Laguna. Ive Had 94 L 1.8 RT. 99 V 1.8 RT Sport, and Now 2002 52 Plate. 2.0 IDE 16v.

In my Opinion these are much more of a car than your Mondeo. Vectra. Peogeut or Citroen.

If the Ball Joints and Rear Bushes need doing get them done, it will transform the car.

Another Plus point. This IDE 2.0 Engine Comes in at 185g/km. Which is £165 to Tax.

The Later 2.0 Petrol Engines come in at 187 g/km £205 to tax.

The Fuel economy isnt bad for a 2.0 Petrol Engine. I return around 35 mpg if driving on A roads. 30 mpg if motorway driving at around 80-90mph.

It's heavy on juice around town driving though. Expect about 27mpg.

Overall i think they are a great car.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts