Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just notice that the steering wheel on my Laguna is offset i.e. to go straight ahead, I need to be holding the wheel at 10 to four.

I took a look in the manual and it says that this needs special tools.

Can I just adjust the track rod ends until the steering is straight again?

·
Premium Member
Scenic mk1ph2, RX4, ID35s11
5,254 Posts
take it to a proper garage that can reset everything back up, as you may have other problems with the steering and suspension.

2 wheel or basic 4 wheel laser alignment may not sort it outy.
look up autotest or your local jag garage for them to sort it out, though will cost about 60 or so to do.

·
Premium Member
999 Posts
"I need to be holding the wheel at 10 to four."
Has this happened suddenly or is it a long standing problem?
There may be an easy fix but more info needed.
Describe the wear pattern on each of the 4 wheels ie even, or worn more on inner or outer treads.
If there is wear or damage to any components tracking will not give consistent readings and will require to be repeated after repair/changes so don't waste money on that ...yet!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The tyre wear looks even.

I think that it has happened suddenly - it may be to do with some of the recent servicing when they changed the track rod end ball joint, but I would have hoped that any competant mechanic would think about this.

·
Premium Member
999 Posts
Thanks for the additional info.
My take, from the even tyre wear, is that the tracking was OK prior to the replacement ball joint. Normally on changing a joint the steering would be tracked, presumably that was not done, if it was, it was done incorrectly.
It depends which side ball joint was changed. If it was left, the left wheel needs to be toed IN. If it was right, the right wheel needs to be toed OUT.
The track rods are both rt hand threads. To toe in, unscrew the rod one half turn. To toe out, screw the rod one half turn in(to the ball joint).
If you decide to go ahead be sure to make a chalk mark on the rod and ball joint before you start. You can then always return to the original setting.
If the steering wheel is more off centre you will know you have gone the wrong way:)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Interesting, mines been tracked twice, and still the steering wheel is at 11 oclock when straight. Took it back and they appeared to straighten the wheel an track it, but drivig away its still cocked.
Sorry to but in on your thread.

·
Premium Member
999 Posts
Your tracker is incompetent!
If you say where the steering wheel is at straight ahead then it is possible to correct it.
If it is still at 11 o'clock ie left hand down, the right front needs to be toed IN by quarter of a turn ie unscrewed (lengthened) or the left side toed OUT by quarter of a turn (shortened).
There is a proviso, that doing so may cover another problem eg the rear axle may be faulty/damaged.
If you have the print out from a 4 wheel alignment, it would be possible to tell if it is a simple tracking problem or if there is an underlying problem.Failing that, a description of the wear pattern on each of the 4 tyres would suffice.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Thanks, i think i,ll have it recdone somewhere else, as since then ive replaced both resr bushes which were completely shot to bits.

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
That'll be why the steering wheel wasn't straight when they tracked it then.Most tracking systems use gauges that fit on the rear wheels which indicate where to set the front wheels,if the rear axle isn't aligned properly then it will throw the results out and hence why the wheel is off to one side.

·
Premium Member
999 Posts
If the left rear bush was worn more than the right that would put the steering wheel left hand down. After tracking the tracker should have road tested the car which would have indicated a fault. Not only would the steering wheel be LHD but it would need to be held in that position to stop the car veering to the right, not a satisfactory or safe situation. A rigorous 4 wheel alignment would have shown the problem or over a period there would have been an indication of the problem from the tyre wear patterns.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts