Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,when driving my Scenic 1.9dci,2002,71000 on the clock, the glow plug light comes on then goes out after 5 seconds.This has happened about 5 times in the last 3 months.Car drives fine.
Any help please.
Regards Barrie.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Hi Balith - the glowplug light will also illuminate if there is water in the fuel filter - when was it last changed:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for info,will check/clean EGR valve,fuel filter was changed at 36000 miles,I have got a new fuel filter to fit at the 72000 mile service.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Hi Balith - it is well accepted by many in the car trade that the 18,000 mile service intervals as recommended by Renault is too long. Personally I service at 10,000 intervals and change the oil and oil filter every year or 6,000 which ever comes first. It should always be remembered that a service is primarily preventative maintenance and not a repair a many people tend to think. I suggest you change the fuel filter now just to rule out the possibility of a dirty fuel filter.:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I have cleaned EGR valve out (loads of gunge removed), done 72000 mile service, all seems fine,light not been on since.
MANY THANKS FOR THOSE WHO GAVE ADVICE.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
EGR valve problem on 1.9dci Scenic.2002 model

I keep having to clean my EGR valve(glow plug light coming on when driving)my questions are - is it worth replacing it - if I replace it does it need re-programing at a dealer.
ANY HELP MUCH APRECIATED.THANKS IN ADVANCE

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Hi Bailith - as far as I know the EGR valve is a straight swap and doesn't need reprogramming. Any time you cleaned it did you also clean the ports.:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
to madnoel

Hi Bailith - as far as I know the EGR valve is a straight swap and doesn't need reprogramming. Any time you cleaned it did you also clean the ports.:)
What do you mean by clean the ports,do you mean in the manifold after I removed the EGR valve.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
HI Bailith - when you remove the inlet pipe from the induction manifold and look or feel inside there is a port down into the chamber where the EGR valve sits. Inside the EGR valve chamber there will also be a port leading to the exhaust. If these ports are choked or carbonned up the EGR valve will dirty quicker. Don't quote me but I think Renault have modified the pipe from the exhaust to rdeuce this possibility:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
thanks for info,will check/clean EGR valve,fuel filter was changed at 36000 miles,I have got a new fuel filter to fit at the 72000 mile service.
hello,lots of egr valve stuff...but how do you know where to locate this valve,can someone tell me please..52 scenic 1.9dci...where is it located and what does it look like...please hellllllpp

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Hi Jeff - I don't know exactly where the EGR valve is located on the Scenic Dci - but it is usually located close to the inlet manifold and has a pipe coming from the exhaust going to it. I have attached a picture of the one on the Laguna 1.9 Dci engine - it may give you a clue:)

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
hi jeff the EGR valve is to the right of the air filter it has 3 bolts on it. you need to take off the air filter housing tho get it out pull it straight out towards the front of the car.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts